Pick up after your dog!

Robert Poste's Child

Big shout out to white male, 40s, short thinning mousey hair and beard, blue jumper, dog lead around your neck, in Dulwich Woods with two small dark-haired boys, presumably your sons, and a white and tan bulldog this lunchtime. You stood smiling and watching as your dog defecated beside the path next to the old railway bridge and then walked on without doing anything about it. Guess you don't care about anyone else's kids stepping or falling on it as long as yours don't.

Yes, I know it's passive-aggressive, he probably doesn't use the forum, blah blah, but he looked classic EDF to me and if he doesn't read this I bet someone who knows him will.

Drives me nuts. If you're not going to pick up after your dog, it's a sign you're not ready to have one.

Abe_froeman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Keeping pets generally is very bad for the

> environment.On average a dog has the same annual

> carbon foot print as a car. And the amount of

> waste produced to keep them is enormous.

There is no reliable scientific study which supports that claim. A recent study in the US concluded that 163M cats and dogs in that country have the same environmental impact as 13.6M cars, i.e. less than a tenth of a car per pet. This can be further mitigated by feeding dogs a principally cereal based diet.

Odd that you, Abe, a noted defender of the motor car, want to ban dogs from London because of their effect on the environment but shriek with indignation any time banning motor cars, even from one street, is suggested. People not picking up after their dogs is disgusting and I'd gladly have them banned from keeping dogs, but I don't believe that 10,000 premature deaths in London each year are contributed to by dogs.

Abe_froeman Wrote:

> Cats have a very much smaller carbon footprint

> though rendel!

Oddly, not so much - I love them both but my family have always fed our dogs on a mainly cereal based diet with a drop of catfood in it, and they've always been massively healthy and long lived (plus it saves a fortune, we've always had big dogs) and fart a lot less - whereas with our cats it's virtually impossible to feed them on anything but meat and fish. Different digestive systems.

Anyway, it pales into insignificance compared to the emissions from animals used for human meat and dairy, pets really are a drop in the ocean in this context.

Link please.

Abe_froeman Wrote:

> I heard yesterday on TV there are 8 million dogs

> in the UK.

>

> Keeping pets generally is very bad for the

> environment.On average a dog has the same annual

> carbon foot print as a car. And the amount of

> waste produced to keep them is enormous.

No comment on the carbon footprint of a dog..but the faeces footprint all over our streets is clear to see.

Also....yesterday got home and front gate and bottom of path were drenched in a yellow, deep puddle of dog piss. Now I know know that you can't pick up dog piss, but letting him do it in the middle of someone's front path?