Overuse of brockwell park

tadpole39

Following a local meeting on monday, it seems that Lambeth council are considering a ten year licence for field day festival to be held on brockwell.

This festival will have a 3 week build, is expecting 45,000 people over three days and will take 1/3 of the park. There will be 8 stages hospitality tents, alcohol and food concessions and toiletting. Brixton water lane will be closed and tens of thousands of people guided to the event. The festival is moving from Victoria park which is twice the size of brockwell, there will be no concessions for the much smaller more residential area. This is not the only festival planned over the summer so one of our local parks will be out of commission for much of the summer.

A new Facebook page Brockwell tranquility has been created to disseminate information and gauge local reaction, please visit!!!

Unfortunately during the years of austerity, Lambeth Council has turned to Brockwell Park as a source of revenue.

I share the OP's concerns, such a lovely green space should be for all to enjoy, and I'm very much opposed to chunks of it being out of bounds for festivals etc. Never got to grips with who is held to account over the damage and vandalism that sometimes occurs. The memorial benches that were removed by Sunfall have not yet been replaced, must be really upsetting for the relatives concerned.

Have noticed how Lambeth's parks have really gone downhill over recent years. I walk through Ruskin and Kennington Parks on my way to work every week, and visit Brockwell at least once a month. Virtually no planting in the flower beds, rubbish overflowing in the bins for days before removal. Very low down the priority list these days.

Southwark in comparison, are doing a much better job at looking after their green spaces.

?Southwark in comparison, are doing a much better job at looking after their green spaces.?

I certainly agree with this and this goes for the open spaces throughout the entire borough, not just here in the south, Southwark parks have a lot more oooomph which is sadly missing in Lambeth open spaces. LB Southwark comes in for a lot of stick but they can take great pride in their open spaces, and their libraries also. Long may it continue.

Many parks become outlets for selling Christmas trees this time of year, Battersea and Richmond are just two that come to mind. I wouldn?t say it?s inappropriate, there are usually already loads of trees in a park though not for sale of course.

• 2 weeks later...

if you actually think back, Brockwell Park used to host Gay Pride and a cannabis festival (although under the guise of something else possibly).

Rather than knock the festival itself and the money coming into the area, knock the organisers for their lack of good management and ensure the council put controls in place for it to be successful.

I absolutely love Brockwell Park, it's my favourite place.

• 4 weeks later...

Free festivals are completely different - everyone is welcome - the petition is about the ticketed events in the park because they change the nature of the access to the park and the dynamics completely.

I would love (more than pretty much anything) the summer to be filled with the free festivals we used to have.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I love festivals and the randomness of all sorts of people being together. It's changed now it's all ticketed - not that it's not good, it still is, it's just different. And it has an impact that we want to be considered.

I mean, who does NOT love Brockwell Park? It's super special and needs to be thought about when events are planned - no one is saying don't have parties, just beware of the impact. That's all.

• 1 month later...