Any favourite quorn recipes?

Robert Poste's Child

I know this isn't what you asked, but it kind of links. If you like Quorn, try something called Tempeh. SMBS stock it, it's a frozen product so you need to think ahead a day or so, but it's delicious.

I was introduced to it by an Australian cousin with a a medically restrictive diet (essentially vegan with a couple of oddities), who said it's widespread down under and very popular. Google it, see if SMBS still sell it, basically anything Asian you can do with meat, you can do with Tempeh. I tried it chargrilled with satay sauce, it was fantastic.

Thanks for that. Had a quick google and it looks like it has some similarities to quorn in that it's made via fermentation involving mycoprotein, but with 10% fat and 20% protein it's more comparable to meat nutritionally; also in calories at about 190 per 100g. Quorn has about 90 cals / 100g, with 14.5g protein and 2g fat, so good for me at the moment as trying to lose a few pounds, but tempeh sounds like it would be great for when you're cooking for a mixed group of vegetarians and non-vegetarians.

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks for that. Had a quick google and it looks

> like it has some similarities to quorn in that

> it's made via fermentation involving mycoprotein,

> but with 10% fat and 20% protein it's more

> comparable to meat nutritionally; also in calories

> at about 190 per 100g. Quorn has about 90 cals /

> 100g, with 14.5g protein and 2g fat, so good for

> me at the moment as trying to lose a few pounds,

> but tempeh sounds like it would be great for when

> you're cooking for a mixed group of vegetarians

> and non-vegetarians.

Tempeh is so good, and absorbs flavors very well. My personal favorite is to marinate in soy sauce and use as a sort of 'meat' on bbq skewers.

I think the beauty of the Quorn mince and chicken bites is you can simply substitute the product for their meat counterparts. I've never modified a meat recipe for the quorn counterpart. Just pay attention to the proper cooking times. And if we are recommending items, their fake bacon and chicken nuggets are worth trying. I eat meat but actual prefer these quorn products.

JohnL Wrote:

> Hear a lot about Seitan too these days

>

> https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/sep/

> 05/hail-seitan-how-vegan-food-got-downndirty

Every vegan and their organically-fed hamster has been bending my ear about that stuff...apparently it's going to make animals obsolete or some such.

malumbu Wrote:

> No. I don't have any favourite Quorn recipes, and

> I haven't eaten meat for 30 years.

>

> It was likened to mushroom when it first came out

> in the 80s. Just as close to athlete's foot!

I agree, it weren't so good back then, but some of their stuff now isn't at all bad - particularly the "fish" fingers, which go very well in sandwiches.