Chimney

kitemonkey

I can give laymans advice (you'd need to follow-up with qualified advice obviously) having fitted several burners and having a house with until recently 7 working fireplaces (only 5 now though !).

I've fitted several multi-fuel burners (for own use) and am familiar with some of the options.

Free info if you want it, to accompany other avenues you may be chasing.

when I had one opened up the installer put a smoking pellet in the grate to see if there was an updraft and he swept it and made sure the brickwork inside was sound since it hadn't been used for years.

This area is a smokeless zone so you can only use smokeless fuel but if I remember correctly you are allowed a Yule log over the Xmas period.

uncleglen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> when I had one opened up the installer put a

> smoking pellet in the grate to see if there was an

> updraft and he swept it and made sure the

> brickwork inside was sound since it hadn't been

> used for years.

> This area is a smokeless zone so you can only use

> smokeless fuel but if I remember correctly you are

> allowed a Yule log over the Xmas period.

Doesn't the chocolate make a mess in the grate?

Judging by the increase in the smell of burning wood in ED over the last 10 years he will have a massive job enforcing a ban on burning wood. I don't fancy his chances.

There are DEFRA approved woodburners with filters available which we are supposed to use in this smokeless zone and they would be a much better option than burning wood logs on an open fire- which is what people will do if they can't have a wood burner....

The Yule log tradition is upheld as it is followed by Druids and Pagans today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/paganism/holydays/wintersolstice.shtml

Druids are officially recognised today by the charity commission as a religion and so the Yule Log winter solstice tradition has to be allowed but is probably restricted to some time limit

Wood burning is extremely bad for the environment and public health. It causes more global warming than gas or electric heating and the particulates nox and o3 produced are causing countless health problems from asthma to death. It is as much a problem as smoky old diesel vehicles and in populous areas where people are raising families Khan is quie right to seek to ban it .

http://www.bmj.com/content/350/bmj.h2757/rr-0

You could phone a chimney sweep for advice.

I have two numbers (they're a bit old so don't know whether the sweeps are still going).

Mister Jolly Chimney Sweep ("Fully trained, reliable, doesn't use children") aka Phil Byrne.

07752 130577

and

S. Pearce

020 8699 3713/020 8857 6511

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you were thinking about fitting a Wood Burner,

> one thing to consider is that

> The Mayor of London Sidiq Khan is looking to

> Restrict/Ban their use in London.

>

> Bar-b-ques Next no doubt.

>

> DulwichFox

#FAKENEWS

Nope, not true. He wants to move to a 'ready to burn' woodfuel, in Euro 5 approved type appliances. It's a sensible move and inline with other developed economies.

And BBQ's are already exempt under the legislation, charcoal being the original smokeless fuel. Only when indoors in a commercial situation is there legislation, that covered already by the relevant authorities.

But that kind of news isn't as sexy as BAN WOOD BURNING STOVES is it.

No!

• 9 months later...

Seabag is right. The Guardian article you link to is misleading. There are stoves that are approved for smoke control areas and a new standard which is being phased in for new stoves bought. They are looking to ban the burning of wood and other fuels that produce lots of smoke and inefficient stoves. But there are already rules for this.

Most of the stoves on sale now (or will soon be) Sia compliant, which is the new standard across Europe. They produce very little smoke. If you see smoke coming out of a chimney, it's very probably an open fire or poorly seasoned wood.

They AREN'T banning stoves. It's a poorly written article.