Nunhead to Honor Oak

languagelounger

This doesn't actually involve setting foot in SE22, admittedly, but would anyone be interested in trying to get Southwark Council (groan now, breathe deeply, count to ten, think of your favourite things, yes, you can handle them), Southwark Council, to open up the existing but locked gate in the Camberwell New Cemetery just opposite the road that leads ofF Ivydale up to Brenchley Gardens? The idea being that Nunhead dwellers could then have a 5 minute walk through a little bit of cemetery and then the lovely Honor Oak Recreation Ground, with its lovely panoramic views, completely on the flat, down to Honor Oak Station. Rather than a 25 minute hike along the length of Brenchley Gardens, up the lovely 1 in 2 hill and all the way down the other side.

Because the very nifty short cut is deliberately blocked off, even though it goes entirely through council-owned land open to the public, Honor Oak station is effectively off the map for Nunheaders, even though it's quite close and the services are handy and are going to get much handier.

When Honor Oak gets linked to the East London Line, it would make a whole lot of London a whole lot more accessible for us, no?

Is there any public spirited soul out there who could have a go at making this happen? It's seems a tad silly with all the hoo-ha about getting people to walk, cycle and use public transport, that this couldn't be done? There would be absolutely no cost involved except possibly some WD40 for the lock on the Edwardian gate and I would be happy to donate that.

Southwark Council: Application before Sub-Committee 24 (Bermondsey Section 9)...9/11/08.

Enjoy Noah.

Noah's Ark, 2008 -- In the year 2008 the Lord came unto Noah, who was now living in Southwark, and said: 'Once again, the Earth has become wicked and over-populated, and I see the end of all flesh before me. Build another Ark and save two of every living thing along with a few good humans.'

He gave Noah the drawings, saying: 'You have six months to build the Ark before I will start the unending rain for 40 days and 40 nights.'

Six months later, the Lord looked down and saw Noah weeping in his yard, but no Ark.

'Noah!' he roared, 'I'm about to start the rain! Where's the Ark?'

'Forgive me, Lord,' begged Noah, 'but things have changed. I needed building regulations approval and I've been arguing with the fire department on the need for a sprinkler system.

'My neighbours claim that I should have obtained planning permission for building the Ark in my garden because it is development of the site, even though in my view it is a temporary structure. We had then to go through an appeals process for a decision. Then the Department of Transport demanded a bond be posted for the future costs of moving power lines and other overhead obstructions to clear the passage for the Ark's move to the sea. I told them the sea would be coming to us, but they would hear nothing of it.

'Getting the wood was another problem. All the decent trees have Tree Preservation Orders on them and we have to apply for a felling licence to chop down the remaining ones. We live in a Site of Special Scientific Interest set up in order to protect the hen harrier. I tried to convince the environmentalists that I needed the wood to save the birds -- but no go!

'When I started gathering the animals, the RSPCA sued me. They insisted that I was confining wild animals against their will. They argued the accommodation was too restrictive, and it was cruel and inhumane to put so many animals in a confined space. I pointed out it would be even more cruel and inhumane to leave them to drown but, again, they were having none of it.

"Then Southwark council, the Environment Protection Agency and the Rivers Authority ruled that I couldn't build the Ark until they'd conducted an environmental impact study on your proposed flood.

'I'm still trying to resolve a complaint with the Equal Opportunities Commission on how many disabled carpenters I'm supposed to hire for my building team. The trade unions say I can't use my sons. I have to hire only accredited workers with Ark-building experience.

'To make matters worse, Customs and Excise seized all my assets, claiming I'm trying to leave the country illegally with endangered species.

'So, forgive me, Lord, but it would take at least 10 years for me to finish this Ark.'

Suddenly the skies cleared, the sun began to shine, and birds started to sing.

Noah looked up and asked: 'You mean you're not going to destroy the world after all?'

'No,' said the Lord. 'Southwark Council are beating me to it.'

GOOD LUCK(!):))

P12 goes from Nunhead to Honor Oak Park.

Another alternative which I do if I need to is to carry on up Brocley Way without turning into Brenchley Gardens until you get to the footbridge over the railway line. Over the bridge to are in Eddystone Road, turn right into Buckthorne Road, right into Courtrai Road and left into Grierson Road. Turn right at the end of Grierson Road and you are there.

I have to agree however that opening the gate (which used to be open during the day) would be better.

There is a Nunhead and Peckham Rye Community Council Meeting on Wednesday evening. THIS Wednesday evening.

Raise the question then as I believe it is in the right patch.

Traffic people are going to be there.

Wish I wasn't working!

I enjoy the walk and it is frustrating that it is shut.

zephyr Wrote:

> I have to agree however that opening the gate

> (which used to be open during the day) would be

> better.

If it used to be open then presumably there's a reason it's not anymore. Might be an idea to find out what that reason was or is as a start point.

It's a shame you can't go as you sound like just the person to sort it out (and also you should have the evening off, of course).

I am due to be going to listen to: Andreas Haefliger performs Jan?cek's Piano Sonata I.X.1905 ('From the Street'); Beethoven's Piano Sonata in C, Op 53 ('Waldstein'); Piano Sonata in F sharp, Op 78; and Brahms's Piano Sonata No 2 in F sharp minor, Op 2.

On the other hand I could give this up and hang around a church hall/whatever all night listening to apparatchiks go blah, blah, blah.

I don't think I could be held accountable in the presence of Southwark Council functionaries. Would have to be at a safe distance before hearing the excuses for stopping the Nunhead populace getting easy walking and cycling access to the coming East London line when it wouldn't cost them a penny.

I am confident however, that Southwark Council is fully capable of coming up with something it will call a reason. Delivered via a forty page working party document involving "extensive public consultation" carried out by Our Mates Consultancy plc at a cost of 100,000 squids, entitled "Why We Can't Open the ****** Gate". Oooooh, I'm turning into Alf Garnett and I'm not even totally bald yet.

Assuming you are talking about the gated entrance to the cemetery accessible on Brenchley Gardens? That gate is open from morning until about 4:30pm (later in the summer). It's a shame that they can't leave it open a bit later as it's an excellent short cut from Honor Oak station. The P12 is also very unreliable and not very frequent.

jumpinjackflash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Assuming you are talking about the gated entrance

> to the cemetery accessible on Brenchley Gardens?

> That gate is open from morning until about 4:30pm

> (later in the summer). It's a shame that they

> can't leave it open a bit later as it's an

> excellent short cut from Honor Oak station. The

> P12 is also very unreliable and not very frequent.

I didn't mean the main gate. There's a small one opposite the top of Kelvington Road, which was installed in days of yore precisely so that people could conveniently walk between that side of south Nunhead to Honor Oak, via the public open space. It has since been locked by the bureaucrats of Southwark Council. HA! Progress...

Now that there is more need than ever to get to Honor Oak station, and given that it would give us viable access to the much heralded East London Line extension, I say we need another Honor Oak Riot (see 1905), or a can of WD40, and get the access opened again.

Agree with you also re the main gate, for people who live further down. And that it's not an option to tell people to get the P12, when they could walk it in 5 mins if the gate was open. Last year I waited 47 minutes at Nunhead Station for a P12, laden down with bags, in freezing, driving rain and being harassed by rowdy kids who had nowhere to go but the bus shelter. Outside the rush hour it's useless and at any time you would have to factor in another 45 mins to make sure you picked it up in SE15 and arrived at HOP in time to get the right train. Who has the time?

• 1 year later...
I was wondering if anything every happened with this particular threa? Considering the ELL will be opening shortly it would be nice to be able to get to Honor Oak Park from Nunhead without having the mountaineering course in between! I see that the P12 has not improved since Nov '08 as I recently waited 45minutes with a screaming baby for said bus - completely unreliable. And unnecessary considering it takes less than 10 minutes to walk through camberwell cemetery to Brenchley gardens.