Petition: Army dogs which saved ?hundreds of lives? to be put down

IlonaM

Army dogs which saved ?hundreds of lives? to be put down - 'Service dogs have saved my life on numerous occasions. We have a duty to save them,' says Andy McNabb

Link to Independent article: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/emergency-service-dogs-put-down-hundreds-lives-army-andy-mcnab-kevin-dazz-a8086936.html

Link to petition within article: https://www.change.org/p/defence-animal-centre-save-our-veteran-dogs

Please sign and share.

I've got some significant military experience, so perhaps I can offer some context here. The Army does an exceptional job of rehousing animals, and it is very unusual for this to occur. These things usually only happen when there are very good reasons why the animals cannot be rehoused.

This is not a faceless officaldom simply disposing of animals uncaringly, the people at Melton Mowbray adore their animals and will have done everything humanly possible to find them a new home. That this hasnt happened suggests there are issues the public are not aware of that preclude rehousing.

Be wary of jumping on this bandwagon until the full facts are known - at present only one, highly emotive and not necessarily factually accurate, side of the story is out there.

As a former military dog handler/trainer jimlad48 maybe you can give us a fuller picture of the usual procedures etc. Although the article appears to have had input from experienced military dog handlers, it would be very helpful to have a fuller picture.

Am military, not dog handler, but have spoken to dog handlers. General procedure is to rehouse wherever possible - there has to be very good reasons why the dog can't be rehomed for this to be seen as the only option left open.

This may be because the dogs cannot settle or adjust to home life, or because they pose a significant risk (don't forget military working dogs are often used in security roles - they're known as woolly alligators for a reason).

The military ADORE dogs, and most armed forces offices are dog friendly, in that they are crawling with dogs who come to work every day. The people who have made the 'put down' call will have done so as a very last resort and are likely to be deeply upset by this - they will not want to have done it. Like I said, there will be a long history for each dog (whose welfare is paramount) and they will have tried everything possible to help them - the problem is that this isn't public knowledge, so we don't know the specific risks or challenges each dog poses.

As one wag I know put it though - many of the people demanding these dogs are saved will be the same ones demanding 'something must be done' when the dog attacks and kills a small child... Harsh, but possibly accurate.

Got to agree with jimlad unfortunately - I've known a couple of police dog handlers who've taken their retired dogs into their homes as their pets - indeed I believe this is the norm, the ones I knew had (by regulation) to keep the working dogs in backyard pens and then when they reach retirement they move a new dog into the outside space and keep the old chap as a pet (same as some farmers I've met who do the same with their sheepdogs). Sadly sometimes working dogs - especially ones like this who have been exposed to horrible trauma - can't be domesticated and it might be kinder, heartbreaking as it is, to euthanize them than to keep them in a pen somewhere. I'm not always a cheerleader for the military but I'm pretty sure they won't be doing this out of wanton cruelty, rather as a sad last resort.

We also don't know the dogs' ages or other health issues that would make them harder to rehome. The reporting has been very emotive but not very informative. I can't see the decision to euthanise them being made lightly. I do hope suitable homes can be found.