Laptop keyboard not working

mickeymonkey

This is the second time I've turned to the EDF for laptop issues advice.....clearly I don't have much luck with them....or are laptops just temperamental?!

My laptop is working but the keyboard isn't. So it turns on, and the keyboard "mouse" works and the touch screen works....everything works except the keys.

Any tips?

Or anyone locally who could fix this for me?

Now you come to mention it JohnL, I hadn't used the laptop for a while and so when I turned it on, it did run a bunch of updates..........and I'm pretty sure the keyboard was working prior to the updates.

I have done the turning it off and on trick a few times but it hasn't resolved.

"Is there an option to downgrade drivers in device manager?"

This sentence sounds well helpful.....but I don't understand it sorry! Can you be a bit more basic for me please?

Thanks for your assistance :-)

if it's Windows 10 - right hand click on the "start" button (or whatever they call it) and choose 'device manager' - in there is a 'keyboards' section. If you can identify the keyboard there you can either try to update or choose properties and try 'rollback'

maybe try looking at the events tab in the keyboard properties list too.

I'm guessing a bit here mind you.

Will the keyboard allow you to interrupt the boot process using whichever keys (F2, F4, F8, Esc, Delete, ..) are prescribed for doing so?

Yes, do look at the keyboard Device Manager(s) to see if it reports the device(s) are believed to be working properly. It will also permit a request to update the drivers, and should tell you if they're up-to-date.

Another diagnostic/prodding alternative would be to try booting from a linux disc or USB stick. Or to try an external USB keyboard.

What make of laptop is it, and what operating system? Googling "WhateverLaptopMake laptop keyboard not working" might just bring forth something more specific.

Ok weird......so I finally got around to trying your suggestions. Plugged laptop on as it had run out of battery, turned it on and, so far, keys are working just fine! Perhaps it really-booted itself? Now I?m wondering if there is a way of safeguarding it happening again. A message is currently popping up saying it needs to re-start.....but I?m afraid to!

It?s a HP laptop btw.

Thanks all for help and offers of help via PM too!

Sounds like the upgrade mine went through last week (which wanted another reload after it seemed complete). Mine seemed to download ASUS drivers but not sure where from (it's an ASUS)

You can't work with the thing being scared to reload mind - then it's running you :)

Bite the bullet and go for it, never be afraid!!! The more you troubleshoot and resolve the issues the more you will learn and empowered to do more. I would download the latest build from Microsoft and re-install a clean system and get rid of the HP junk