William Morris Gallery

Elphinstone's Army

Has anyone travelled to Walthamstow from Lordship Lane by public transport in the week and can recommend

the best and quickest route please.

I thought it might be easier to travel from Forest Hill, as the Victoria Line is something of a dogleg but it seems we would have to change from Whitechapel

to Bethnal Green with a 10 minute walk in between.

I am able to map it out but would prefer to hear from someone who has accomplished this journey physically

and found a good route in defiance of TfL and google maps.

Thank you

It really depends on where you start. If you are nearer to Townley, get the 37 to Brixton and then you are laughing. Also, it depends on the time of day. Rush hour will slow your trip to a train or tube considerably. Denmark Hill or Peckham Rye to Victoria then the Victoria line would be best, but watch out for rush hour temporary closures when it gets really busy. (I think Denmark H has more services to Victoria per hour than PR.)

If you are near to F Hill, isn't there a service to Victoria as well?

nxjen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> In my experience, changing onto Victoria line at

> Kings Cross is a nightmare due to large numbers of

> people and best avoided. Would agree catching VL

> in Brixton or Vauxhall

Certainly at rush hour, I assumed (maybe wrongly) a gallery visit would be offpeak, when it's no worse than any other central London station.

Though changing at KX is worse in the rush hour, it?s pretty horrendous any time of day!

Or OP could catch London Overground at Forest Hill to Highbury and Islington and then pick up the Victoria Line from there.

(Confused as to why Bethnal Green was mentioned)

Elphinstone's Army Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I am able to map it out but would prefer to hear

> from someone who has accomplished this journey

> physically

> and found a good route in defiance of TfL and

> google maps.

>

The thing about google maps, though, is that it will take current conditions, traffic jams etc (for buses) into account and give you different routes depending on the time you are travelling.

The closer to your start time you ask it, the more accurate will be the result.

That has been my experience anyway, both for driving and for using public transport.

And you can put William Morris Gallery in as your destination, I imagine, so even more accurate than just "Walthamstow".

It has often come up with routes I would never have thought of myself.

ETA: It's a long time since I've been there, so I may be wrong, but I didn't think the gallery was that near the station?