January blue's 😯

Lisa Taylor

I'm seriously suffering with January blue's, never really had this before do other people get this? Or could I be depressed or dare I say having a mid life crisis!!!! I'm starting to question everything in my life usually I'm such a positive happy go lucky kinda gal. Any tips to shake this feeling off?

January . with little Sun can cause a deficiency in Vitamin 'D' which may cause depression or January Blues as you put it.

You could try a Vitamin 'D' supplement but should consult your G.P. if symptoms get worse.

Your Pharmacist should be able to advise you. Try Lloyds on North Cross Road. They are very helpful there.

Fill your diary: book some events; plan a holiday; arrange a night out with old friends. Buy a book you've always wanted to read. Wrap up warm and take a walk in the park when the sun comes out, however briefly. Buy a new item of clothing/get a haircut. Keep away from the news/social media for a bit. All trite solutions, I know, but they work for me if I'm feeling down. (Personally self-help books make me feel worse but maybe that's just me.) Hope you feel better soon x

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> redjam Wrote:

> ----------------------------------------------

> > get a haircut.

>

> Risky. What someone I know calls 'giving yourself

> something to cry about'!

Maybe they should change their hairdresser :))

We all need something to look forward to otherwise it is easy to slump, or wonder 'what's it all about' if I am feeling the same, I buy daffodils - harbingers of Spring - which is on the way, sticky buds, blossom, nest building, tulips, ducklings on the lake, - lighter evenings, sunshine ! and take vitamin D3, and sleep well, which is important, and eschew alcohol.

It's the turn of the year, always a contemplative time.

We don't know if you are having a mid life crisis?! Stay away from Ferrari showrooms just in case.

It's natural to want to feel the sun on our face midwinter and why able people flee to sunnier climes

for a fix.

As DF suggested, Lloyds Pharmacy on NCR are endlessly patient and will advise.

Feel better soon.

Everything is cyclical. You?ve felt better before & you will do again.

Right now I have a calendar based on structure. Get up same time, exercise, eat a variation on the same thing.

Book stuff in and make 70% of your current life a program. You?ll know how you feel on much of this because you?ve felt it before.

Give it a few days, a week, a month. Things will change, enjoy the process, know many people feel the same.

It?s ok

Thank you so much for all your kind responses that alone has made me feel better. I will definitely try the Vitamin D sounds like it's really helpful. I hope I start to feel better.....haven't had cold/flu but not been feeling 100% maybe I'm feeling run down though. Thanks again everyone x

Lisa Taylor Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thank you so much for all your kind responses that

> alone has made me feel better. I will definitely

> try the Vitamin D sounds like it's really helpful.

> I hope I start to feel better.....haven't had

> cold/flu but not been feeling 100% maybe I'm

> feeling run down though. Thanks again everyone x

Might be useful to get blood tests from the GP just to eliminate any medical issues x

It is VERY Important that you do not take too much Vitimin 'D'

Stick too the recommended dose.

Although its virtually impossible to get too much Vitimin 'D' from food and sunlight

taking too much Vitimin 'D' supplement can result in serious health problems.

I.E. Calcium build up and Kidney stones

Speak to your G.P. or Pharmacist.

You'd have to take a hell of a lot for a long time, DF. The RDA is 400iu a day and the safe limit is 4000iu, but those are based on the average needs of healthy people and Patrick Holford would argue that when you're ill the remedial dose may need to be higher. If I'm coming down with something I can sometimes zap it with a high dose for a day or two.

I've tried this, so I wouldn't recommend it if I hadn't. It's a little drastic though. Eat 1 clove of RAW garlic a day in the morning or evening for 2 weeks or as many days as you can stand. Works a treat. You could also use as a punishment if you've done something wrong lol .

"Cider vinegar" was its usual name before Instagram made us all Amurcan...

Anyway, on topic, I would suggest as much sleep as you can as well as lots of hand washing and a daily vitamin and iron supplement to stay (physically) well, which has to help you stay mentally well at least to an extent. Walking and doing "just enough" rather than haring around will help.