The Old ?Shepard?s? shop Dulwich village

dmcd808

Just wondering what will go in the old Shepard?s shop in Dulwich village.

Apparently the estate want 50 grand a year for that space so not sure if a conveinence store can afford that?

It?s a shame that small shops like this have been priced out!

Hah. Love all the bantz above. Louisa On good form. I never understood the original Sainbos rumour (was that yours too Louisa?) as the unit size, access and everything didn't work. Gails DV branch makes ?45k a week? That's funny!

Look all we want is a good little general store that sells milk, bread and The Telegraph. A good supply of chamois for washing the Range Rover and a selection of golf jumpers also appreciated.

rendelharris Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The average Starbucks turns over around ?20k a

> week, so...assuming standard profit margins ?45k a

> week for Gails would mean over a million a year

> gross profits - knock off ?200k for staff and

> overheads and it'd still be an astonishing little

> goldmine!

Is Gails a coffee shop? why is coffee being used as a comparable for somewhere that sells extortionately priced breads etc and ?30 breakfasts for 2

Anytime we go in there as a family its about ?60 - for nothing much at all

Well, Starbucks sell breakfast, rolls, cakes, snacks, lunch and coffee - thought that was what Gails do? Never been in there so apologies if I've misconstrued their offer. Point remains, whatever they sell, that on ?45k a week and standard profit margins they'll be making around ?800k profits p.a., which sounds unlikely for a small bakery in their location. If I'm wrong good luck to them and wish I had a piece of their business!

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I can believe Gails could do 45k in a good week,

> perhaps not every week. I have heard that

> Palmerston does 30k+ and Gails would perhaps have

> a quicker turnover of customer per ?.

Highly unlikely Mick....

Gails comprises both wholesale and retail divisions and does about ?79M annually in revenue. ?31M of that comes from roughly 38 retail units. Some will do better than others but that's an average of ?815k annual turnover per bakery. As a whole group they made aprox ?2M profit for the 2017 YOA.

So most of the speculation above is total bollocks.

Maybe not. Firstly no one was talking about profits, it was takings. I said that Gails DV could have done 45k in a week, but certainly not every week, that's possible for me, not completely outlandish. Although I wouldn't have believed it if it hadn't been quoted from someone.

As for the figures quoted, I'd imagine some of the 38 retail units above are well short of their DV entity performance and for an enterprise that's expanding, many of the 38 referred to may have opened up in the year of the accounts you refer to, therefore not incorporating a full years takings?

Even the numbers quoted suggest an average of turnover of 815k/38 shops is on an all year basis, across all 38 entities is ?16k per week.

I don't think therefore its impossible for one shop, possibly their most profitable outlet, to have done significantly better than that in one particular week.

Ok so I'm getting there in my own mind perhaps.....

There were 10 new openings in the year you refer to - so not 38 but 28 had been open all year. If you assume then they opened equally through the year then an average of 33 outlets for the year

815k / 33 = 25k turnover per out let, per week, on an all year average basis. Some weeks will be much better and some outlets will be much better than others.

I don't think its impossible for one outlet to have done 45 k in a particularly good week.

I think that what was the former worker was referring to, a particularly good week!

On Saturdays this place is contansly busy and the till is contansly ringing until close! would not surprise me.

They have also just completed a 75k refit which will probably increase their profits even more.

We can safely say the yummy mummy market is alive and kicking if you get the branding right!

Agreed.

I also think most of us are brand snobs, its what most of us have been brought up to think sub conciously or conciously.

And let's not forget that consumerism is what drives the US & UK economies and thats why marketing unfortunately really works in our country!