Calling owners of German Shorthaired Pointers...

joom

My sister has one which she rescued from a gamekeeper (long story - it caught its paw in one of his illegal traps, she found and took it to the RSPCA, he couldn't claim the dog back without admitting to setting illegal traps so she asked if she could keep it and they agreed). Lovely dog, very affectionate, very loyal. Just be prepared to give it very, very long walks (my brother-in-law runs marathons and it'll go on a fifteen mile training run with him no problems) and train it very well to return; don't know if it's her past or characteristic of the breed but if this one sees a bird half a mile off she's off to investigate - she always comes back but you can be waiting some time!

There are a quite a few pointers in rescue in Cyprus, they certainly look like german shorthairs but could be anything really. Worth a look as these dogs desperately need homes and I can vouch for the charities, having a pointer mix from them myself. Easy adoption process and lots of support.

Have a look at cy2uk on facebook.

I had a GSP as a kid. Very affectionate and gentle with kids, but hugely energetic and not too interested in being trained. We never got her to walk to heel (or not pull on a lead) and she was never great with other dogs. Don?t know if this is a common theme, or just a special case! Loads of character though, I absolutely adored her.

Thanks for all the pointers everyone!

We're prepared for an energetic dog but we are aiming to get a puppy from more of a show line rather than pure hunter, though I've heard that that approach won't necessarily work. I've got in touch with a breeder and will talk further with her for more advice.

joom Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I had dogs when I was kid, red setters.

Red setters are officially ?bonkers?

You?ll be in good company with this breed, but stubborn breeds are hard work.

I had a Bull Terrier once and a rescue Doberman (I never intended on either breed, but they came to me and I loved them). The BT was the most stubborn dog i?ve ever known, she was also incredibly loveable in her nature, outweighing the frustration 10-1, whereas the Doberman was my biggest suprise. He was a huge animal and in the more unusal Isabella and tan colour.

But his nature was something to behold, as I was often sure there was a person trapped in a dogs body, such was the intelligence of that dog. He basically trained me and assisted with the Bull Terrier much of the time.

I still wonder at his ?just show me once? learning ability.

I miss both beasts.

Enjoy whatever you choose, i?d love to have another dog, just not feasible right now.