Masters ?

womanofdulwich

I went to a Post graduate fair at UCL yesterday about Masters qualifications etc. They said I would probably qualify for a ?10k loan to do a masters- they said you had to be under 60 when you started.

I thought wow- I have no loan to pay off at the moment- being of an age... By the time I finish the course I will probably not earn enough to have to repay much- whats not to like? Am I missing something? Anyone else flirting with these ideas?

( Im not sure what I want to study, it felt like I was entering a secret sweet shop)- I did not realise you could get a student loan for a Masters.

Your post surprised since it seems to suggest that one could get funding for anything. One of my kids did a masters on a heavy biological science course but he had to fund himself as he did not qualify for the government loans - he got a loan from the Co-Op Bank.

This is the government page

https://www.gov.uk/funding-for-postgraduate-study

He was the tender age of 22 when he went

By the time I finish the course I will probably not earn enough to have to repay much- whats not to like?

Great that you should be interested in learning/continuing to learn - it's commendable.

Not great that you should be rubbing your hands with glee that you can avoid paying the fees - or a fair bit of the full coast, as you suggest - and thereby cost the state a good few grand.

I did a Open Uni Post Grad Diploma in Computing a few years back and it was all study module based but more or less the same thing I do in work rather than fully academic but I never upgraded it to the Masters via the Thesis. I think to an extent you're supposed to be more reflective on your work and ideas but it's difficult to say in Computing. I paid monthly so it was some kind of loan.