Sat Nav experience to share?

stringvest

Well, "someone" put in shortest route, instead of fastest route to Cardigan Bay. Was told by "Sally sat-nav" to take daventry turn off, did so, ended up in Coventry during the rush hour, then Birmingham pile ups(went past city football ground) then West Brom, went past the football ground, walsall? Every a*se end of everywhere, Telford, past the monument of Thomas the canal builder, Shrewbury, through the town centre PAST all the lovely tudor shops ... on to welshpool. Eventually we got to Dogellau after about 6 hours ... but we wasn't where we were supposed to be, insisting it was an adventure the "someone" carried on with shortest route, through narrow single vehicle farm tracks past miles of stone walls and upwards into the mountains .... I had to get out and open big sheep gates every so many yards, there were sheep everywhere, the mountains and scenery were BREATHTAKING, absolutely beautiful BUT INTIMIDATING AND SCARY. We had got so high that we were level with mists and it was very cold and eerily quiet. The track had large frozen puddles to negotiate, I thought we would fall off. "Someone" thought my beginning to panic was funny, which made me worse, I thought we could break down, fall off the edge, be attacked by sheep, freeze to death, get no phone signal .... A farmer drove up behind us, and assured us we were going the right way to where we wanted to go. We got there ... then came back the FAST WAY.

I don't know about other satnavs, but if you use Google Maps, you can look at a text description of the route before you set off.

Or indeed look at the map in advance to see which way it is going to take you .....

And it tells you the estimated length of time the journey will take before you set off .....

And shows you where there is heavy traffic and gives you alternative routes to avoid it.

Glad you got there safely in the end :)

Cardigan bay = Aberystwyth way

Mid Wales doesn't have good links (there's no motorways, there's the Brecon Beacons to the south and Snowdon to the north) - from Swansea even you take B roads once you pass Carmarthen ( I remember going through Lampeter once) :)

• 3 weeks later...