Intervening with school children

JDR

Cycling down Upland Road ( behind Harris Boys before Barry Road). Approx 15 Boys together, one holding another against a wall at approx 3.10 Friday 2/2/18. I intervened, several people walked past, cycled past. I told boys off and got some very mild hassle from them ( when my back was turned and I was cycl8ng away) but have to say REALLY disappointed by fellow east dulwichers not supporting or intervening. At least 5 people came past and they all carried on. I am a 40 y.o. Woman. I was on my own. If I can brave out 15 Boys surely moral support isn?t beyond passersby?

you appear to have been right outside the school. I take it these boys were wearing Harris uniforms?

maybe write to the Head saying what a poor impression such events make and how they are likely to persuade parents who observe them (ie local people) not to send their boys to the school?

True and might encourage them to take a greater interest in their pupils' welfare

when the Harris girls used to be Waverley in Homestall Road I gave a colleague a lift home and drove down that road. This was 20 years ago. The road was completely blocked with girls fighting...I hooted them and they promptly turned round and started towards us. We quickly closed the car windows and locked the doors and could not move without running them down- fortunately some members of staff came along and saved us- I dread to think.....my advice is to call the police- they are usually around at chucking out time.

It's true that sometimes teenagers are vile but I thought this was about adults that did not help or support the O.P.

I'm very glad you did intervene JDR. Several years ago my daughter was attacked by a group if girls outside the station and not one adult stopped to help her.

It's sad that people feel so threatened by teenagers these days. Most are not likely to front you (in my experience). I saw a young boy being hassled for his bike by a masked teenager,,, I couldn't walk by so crossed the road telling him off, by the time I got there he had run off.

The victim recognised his attacker as his neighbour! I doubt that kids can be bullied more if interrupted by a stranger. Maybe bullies pay more respect to a woman of a certain age, (myself included) who in turn is much more likely to intervene with that sense of security that no one would ignore an older woman being attacked by a child......would they???

It's sad that people feel so threatened by teenagers these days. Most are not likely to front you (in my experience). I saw a young boy being hassled for his bike by a masked teenager,,, I couldn't walk by so crossed the road telling him off, by the time I got there he had run off.

The victim recognised his attacker as his neighbour! I doubt that kids can be bullied more if interrupted by a stranger. Maybe bullies pay more respect to a woman of a certain age, (myself included) who in turn is much more likely to intervene with a sense of security that no one would ignore an older woman being attacked by a child......would they???

I remember an incident when a guy seemed alone in tackling 3 or 4 youths, he had hold of one and was determined not to let go. I called the police and stood nearby.

It was only when one of the other teens grabbed a glass bottle (guessing with the intention of using it against the guy) that 2 other passers by got involved, both male. It was reassuring because they'd obviously been keeping an eye out but it wasn't obvious.

siousxiesue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I remember an incident when a guy seemed alone in

> tackling 3 or 4 youths, he had hold of one and was

> determined not to let go. I called the police and

> stood nearby.

>

> It was only when one of the other teens grabbed a

> glass bottle (guessing with the intention of using

> it against the guy) that 2 other passers by got

> involved, both male. It was reassuring because

> they'd obviously been keeping an eye out but it

> wasn't obvious.

I think that sounds sensible - just loiter a bit if you see trouble.

I have intervened in the past and its not gone well. A man told his dog to sit at the kerb, it didn't sit so he kicked it hard on its hips and it yelped and screeched. I was standing next to them waiting to cross. I told the man he was wicked and shouldn't do that to the dog. He said "KEEP YOUR EFFING NOSE OUT, IT AINT YOUR EFFING DOG"... I said he was a complete BARTHING and shouldn't have a dog. I tried to take the dog lead, he punched me in the face. I punched him and we started fighting, he threw me in the road. Someone called the police. The police weren't very interested that he had kicked the dog, punched me in the face, or threw me in the road. As little me, had fought the man quite badly, they treated us like "knock for knock", in that if they arrested him for assault, they would arrest me too for assault ....

Best keep out of it or call the fuzz!