Rowing across the Pacific - Local orgs & people aligned with our causes - can we help? And can you?

Megatron

Hello!

I'm an East Dulwich local setting out on a huge challenge for great causes - in June 2018, I'll be rowing 2,400 miles across the pacific ocean as part of a crew of 3 women. We'll be the first crew of 3, male or female, in history ever to row the Pacific, setting a new world record. In addition, as it stands, no other female crew of three has ever completed a row across any ocean on earth. But more importantly, we're doing this to champion two great causes - the charity Mind, and the issue of plastic pollution.

I'm reaching out keen to engage with any local businesses who may be interested in being part of this double world record attempt and the platform it can provide, any local organisations who may be aligned with our causes and with whom we can helpfully engage, and any individuals who may support the causes we are rowing for and in turn wish to support us.

Please feel free to message me for any info and check out our website at www.pacificterrific.com, or email [email protected]

Thank you!

Who are you?

As this is a row from California to Hawaii how will it provide a platform for anyone half way across the world.

Are you financing your own passage to California with boat.

Please describe how this will draw attention to the plastic in the sea and not a self indulgent crackpot dangerous undertaking to which you hope level headed people will subscribe.

Hello Elphinstone's Army.

Thanks so much for your comments.

My name is Megan, I've lived here nearly a decade, and in this time I've always loved the sense of community within East Dulwich. Engaging with communities rather than feeling isolated from them is a major theme for one of our key causes, the Charity Mind.

The platform is one from which to engage and promote discussion at a local level and beyond about a challenge that receives national and international attention, and for causes that affect us all regardless of geographical boundaries.

As a local, it makes sense to me to turn to my community and those within it who may share similar values, and the aim of my post is simply to share, and gladly hear of any ideas re. collaboration and support, and promoting and contributing towards local initiatives and interests should the opportunity to do so be there.

Yes, absolutely, regarding passage!

Closer to home I've recently kayaked and packrafted the Thames and Grand Union Canal clearing plastic, which ultimately needs to be tackled at source before it reaches the sea - please feel free to look up www.daretwodo.com should you be interested to see what we found!

We were so happy to see active discussion arising from our daily finds in clearing nearly 5,000 pieces of rubbish from the waterways, and I'm certainly inspired to see these messages already being championed by so many of our local businesses - for example, many of our local pubs no longer offering straws automatically.

I really appreciate your comments, thanks again.

Megan

Meghan, I repeat : who are you ? answers in plain speak English please, and reasons why your ?local community? should support your endeavours taking place half way across the globe with a remit to draw attention to plastics in the sea which David Attenborough has eloquently described and that we are well aware of, and if you want to hit the source you could begin with M &S, who use as much as possible, and describe how you are going to achieve approbation for rowing out against the prevailing tide to raise money for Mind and plastic warriors, when it seems that you need/want/require funds to enable your ?three women in a boat? self indulgent escapade.

We already aware of Mind through the charity shop on GG and frankly, should donations, often carried for a distance be better received, we would think more kindly on Mind as this season?s Charity of Choice.

This expedition is doomed to failure - at least males could pee over the side : have you not reaad ?The Old Man and the Sea??