Recommendations for squirrel proof bird feeders

hammerman

I've got a couple of Squirrel Buster feeders - a Mini one and a Plus version - which are spring loaded so that the feeding holes slide down and the feeding tray is covered when something as heavy as a squirrel or a large bird lands on one of the perches. However, with the Mini feeder the squirrels and parakeets have worked out how to stop that happening by hooking their claws over the tray? With a domed plastic guard over the feeder now, the squirrels can't get to it - but the parakeets still do and get through the seeds in no time.

I bought the Plus version recently (quite pricey), which is excellent in terms of deterring squirrels and parakeets, but so far (after a month) it has't been popular with some of the other birds which flocked to the smaller version. Chaffinches and greenfinches like it but the feeding holes seem to be a stretch too far for the goldfinches and bluetits, which still prefer the small one. It has six holes with metal rod perches that can be adjusted for length and a 'Cardinal ring' that can be fitted around them to allow bigger birds to feed (Squirrel Busters are made in Canada where they've got cardinals), and you can also adjust the spring mechanism according to the weight of creature you want to discourage.

Have a look at both of of these on Vine House Farm's squirrel-proof feeder page: www.vinehousefarm.co.uk (supporters of the Wildlife Trusts)

I have found two from an ebay supplier, a bit more expensive because my current squirrel proof bird feeders are not parakeet proof. Go on and look for The Nuttery and see what you like there. One has a lid as wide as the whole bird feeder itself so the nuts don't get wet and mouldy if the birds have found other sources...

The parakeets managed to get their thin necks through the outer holes and grab nuts for its mates...

I cannot help. All my feeders have been mangled by squirrels. Even the expensive metal "squirrel chew proof" ... they've chewed through.

I made two christmas wreaths, thought it was nice to do a natural theme! Got some Ivy and foliage, wrapped round a wire ring, added walnuts and berries etc they looked nice. I made one for my mum also. We heard a clattering on the front door and saw the squirrel running off with it! TWICE !! I've got a plastic one now.

Ha, also saw a squirrel, running along, up a tree trunk ... up the tree trunk ... up and up. Only to find himself on top of a telegraph graph pole, with a face that look like "OMG - wrong tree" too far to jump across, he came straight back down and up the tree next-door to it.

I bought some squirrel proof feeders... they worked well at keeping the squirrels out but I wouldn't recommend as they seemed to keep even small birds out too. Not sure why, the holes didn't look too small, perhaps they were just other feeders nearby that were easier to get into and so they couldn't be bothered with mine anymore. The food in them ended up rotting.

I've gone back to feeding all comers now... truth be told I quite enjoy seeing the squirrels acrobatics and the parakeets might not be native to the UK but they are pretty. Still seem to get smaller birds visiting, though have to say the last month seem not to have seen anything much bar pigeons and squirrels.

Air rifle or catapult. They are vermin and I expect can be legally disposed of in this way. Still haven't got round to it but one day..... One actually got into, and was trapped, in a squirrel proof feeder. By law I should have disposed of it but unlike my grandfather's generation, who had to dispose of unwanted kittens by drowning them in a sack (the most horrible thing he ever had to do) I didn't have the resolve so let it out, whilst it almost had a heart attack and then tried to bite my hand. Viscous so and so's and it didn't thank me either.

Add chilli powder to the bird food mix. Supposedly

that's a bit ironic - robins are vicious little creatures too, i'm sorry to report!

'european robin' wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_robin - "Male robins are noted for their highly aggressive territorial behaviour. They will fiercely attack other males and competitors that stray into their territories and have been observed attacking other small birds without apparent provocation." - and https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/11/british-national-bird-robin-murderous-bully

ETA the squirrel families, woodpigeon families, blackbird families, bluetit families and robin family (note singular!) living in our garden don't seem to have a problem sharing the birdseed.

what's more annoying is our already well-fed terrier, who pops out and helps himself to suet and kibbled oats when he thinks noone is looking!

On the bird feeder today A CHEEKY MOUSE nibbling at the peanuts!! Also, saw a goldfinch pecking at the seed feeder and passing food to either a great tit or coal tit sitting with it? (larger than a blue tit with black crown?), "bird people" say this wouldn't happen, the gold finch would go first. The ground feeders lurk at the bottom waiting for bits of suet.

Had to give up on some plants for being eaten by slugs and snails, the perennial red lobelia cardinal was stalks! Find myself putting old greens out for them now to keep them off other plants .... have mostly changed plants to inedible varieties.

our very first goldfinch today - such and unusual sight I had to look it up in the bird book to make sure

i used to chuck our snails into next door's vacant lot but it's now a (hideous) new-build, so have to restrain myself these days.

like sv i leave the green bits of weeds and cuttings around for them to munch, but unfortunately what we have most of is that hairy alkanet stuff that they refuse to eat

Thanks for the recommendations again.

Been looking at all the companies and on ebay etc and trying to decide. Some seem quite pricey and I wanted to have a couple or more feeders going in the garden. It's the squirrels that have overtaken my one feeder for the past year and I don't see as many smaller birds. I hear the parakeets getting excited but so far they've definitely not had a go.

The blackbirds, crows and magpies tend to ground feed so they are still around and visit every day.

I've got some money off vouchers for Pets at Home as have other animals and they have a squirrel proof feeder on their website so might take a trip to the Old Kent Road.

Thinking of also trying to make up something myself after seeing the see through upturned dome thing on the websites. Maybe a plastic mixing bowl might work!

they are pricey, and my experience is that any bird feeder has a limited lifespan, especially if you've got a tenacious squirrel trying to chew through it - not for nothing were they in the beer ad.

i wonder whether you'd just be better off spending that money on more birdseed instead and spreading garden happiness for all, including the CHEEKY MICE

ETA for your viewing pleasure

civilservant Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> ETA for your viewing pleasure

>

That made me laugh out loud :))

And the double squirrel assault course following it was good too :))

Clever squirrels!

Having bought a traditional bird feeder on top of a pole only for it to be emptied daily by squirrels, I tried numerous contraptions and crazy ideas to squirrel proof it, all of which failed. On the suggestion of a family friend, I tried greasing the feeder pole in Vaseline and low and behold it worked. For a few days after, we were provided with much entertainment watching the squirrels attempt to climb up the pole only to be defeated again and again and eventually they just stopped trying. For weeks after this we were rewarded with the arrival of numerous garden birds once again. This was then halted by the far worse, noisier parakeets, that could empty the feeders in far less time, fill the garden with ear splitting screeches and bully away all the native garden birds. We never found a solution so have had to stop filling the feeder. Squirrels 0 - parakeets 1.

and lo and behold, the final score was Native garden birds/squirrels/parakeets/CHEEKY MICE 0, nativist chauvinists 1 (via an own goal)

i'm interested (and dismayed) at how perceptions of deserving v. undeserving spill over outside the merely human poor

Sue, hammerman, glad you enjoyed the video!

• 2 years later...

The Robert Dyas ones (from a former life when I used to go into an office in central London - can you imagine that?) have been fine https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/outdoor-living/bird-care/bird-feeders

Inverted plastic cones (from football training) on top of the open feeders has surprisingly worked - and cheaper to buying a bespoke one: https://www.birdfood.co.uk/squirrel-guard?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6LHQlJGx7AIVgWDmCh0-QwLZEAQYBSABEgLUG_D_BwE

Although the one shown on the link is shown below the feeder whilst I'd put them on the top to put them off feeding upside down which they tend to do.

And greasy pole helped too!

But I reckon its down to luck too, a determined squirrel will get through anything but the caged feeders or those with a weighted device. My local pests have probably gone for an easier feed.