Dangerous walkers

Louisa

Encountered some very dangerous walking at numerous times of the day, along various stretches of LL. I am particularly concerned about the stretch between Franco Manca and The Bishop, right opposite the busy junction with East Dulwich Grove. Buses turning right, pedestrian crossing in front of you. Various obstructions including lamp posts, bins, uneven surfaces and large puddles on wet days. It?s causing people to walk out into the road, a busy stretch at that. It?s only a matter of time before a accident happens.

I walked along this morning and noticed a man in a mobility scooter was forced to wait whilst others casually walked on through without an ounce of consideration. I really think something needs to be done.

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Encountered some very dangerous walking at

> numerous times of the day, along various stretches

> of LL. I am particularly concerned about the

> stretch between Franco Manca and The Bishop, right

> opposite the busy junction with East Dulwich

> Grove. Buses turning right, pedestrian crossing in

> front of you. Various obstructions including lamp

> posts, bins, uneven surfaces and large puddles on

> wet days. It?s causing people to walk out into the

> road, a busy stretch at that. It?s only a matter

> of time before a accident happens.

>

> I walked along this morning and noticed a man in a

> mobility scooter was forced to wait whilst others

> casually walked on through without an ounce of

> consideration. I really think something needs to

> be done.

>

What do you suggest is done, other than enforced mass education in consideration for others?

Well for a start I think the outside seating area for the restaurant and pub should be removed or at least made less obstructive. They?re hardly used this time of the year, and yet they manage to take up a huge amount of space. We also have bins and lampposts in the most ridiculous places possible. Have you tried to walk along this stretch when a buggy or wheelchair is having to fight for space with stupid deliveroo bikes parked up on the pavement obstructing peopl.

Buses are using this stretch, as are cars, and it is unacceptable pedestrians should be forced into the main road. It?s as simple as that Sue. Someone needs to do something. I?m sick of having to jostle for space every single time I leave the house.

Also admin, why has this been moved into the lounge? It?s ED specific and important.

Louisa.

Having lived in the area for 37 years I can testify that the more and more people that have come to live here the less and less manners and consideration there are/is. Many people seem to have developed kind of 'entitlement' and it is ridiculous...unless it is the TYPE of people that ED has attracted.

Pedestrians stop or turn without looking, for example when looking at their hand held computer things, are often distracted by other things such as their Sony Walkmans or gheto blasters. There should be compulsory training, learner badges, lights mirrors and indicators, a pedestrianising test, and a new offence of dangerous pedestrianising, or pedestrianising without due care and attention. They often have no tolerance of other pavement and road users, do not pay pavement tax, and are probably uninsured.

Sadly this post is not purely facetious.....

malumbu Wrote:

> Pedestrians stop or turn without looking, for

> example when looking at their hand held computer

> things, are often distracted by other things such

> as their Sony Walkmans or gheto blasters. There

> should be compulsory training, learner badges,

> lights mirrors and indicators, a pedestrianising

> test, and a new offence of dangerous

> pedestrianising, or pedestrianising without due

> care and attention. They often have no tolerance

> of other pavement and road users, do not pay

> pavement tax, and are probably uninsured.

>

> Sadly this post is not purely facetious.....

But is rather good. You forgot to add that any pedestrian eschewing hi-vis and a helmet is "simply asking for trouble."

Louisa Wrote:

> Well for a start I think the outside seating area

> for the restaurant and pub should be removed or at

> least made less obstructive. They?re hardly used

> this time of the year, and yet they manage to take

> up a huge amount of space. We also have bins and

> lampposts in the most ridiculous places possible.

> Have you tried to walk along this stretch when a

> buggy or wheelchair is having to fight for space

> with stupid deliveroo bikes parked up on the

> pavement obstructing peopl.

>

>

Presumably the tables and chairs belonging to restaurants etc are on their own land. The normal pavement width is in addition to them.

As for the "bins and lampposts in the most ridiculous places possible", perhaps you could post up some pictures as examples, as I have never noticed this. Or complain to the council if you think they should be somewhere else?

And complain to Deliveroo if you think their bikes are causing an obstruction?

hammerman Wrote:

> Completely agree with you Louisa and you have to

> have your wits about you when walking in some

> places along Lordship Lane!

You have to have your wits about you when walking anywhere .....

DulwichFox Wrote:

> It always seems to me that people in groups with

> buggies will find the narrowest place

> to congregate to stop and have a chat. Like .

> where there are Railings.. Trees... Bins..

>

> I Jest not.

>

> Foxy

Yes they do seem to find the less than ideal spots to cause pedestrian congestion. I too have noticed this.

The spot in question has a rubbish bin next to a large road sign and is directly outside the Bishop and Estate Agent entrance. Infuriating.

Louisa.

Mostly on a Saturday they seem to block up the entrance to Londis.

I reckon it's the same people who spend the whole of their bus journeys standing in front of the doors, even when there are many seats available, so that everybody else has to push past them to get out.

Sue Wrote:

> Mostly on a Saturday they seem to block up the

> entrance to Londis.

>

> I reckon it's the same people who spend the whole

> of their bus journeys standing in front of the

> doors, even when there are many seats available,

> so that everybody else has to push past them to

> get out.

Not sure about bus journeys as they aren?t my first choice of transportation, however they are the types who drive huge 4X4 type vehicles (once only seen in the likes of the Village), up and down narrrow residential roads looking to steal parking spaces from residents so they can pick up their offspring from private nurseries.

I don?t wish to turn this into a discussion about yummy mummies and prams, but they ARE part of the wider problem when it comes to poorly laid out pedestrian pavements, and walking two abrest with prams and refusing to move over, or even worse not acknowledging other members of the public.

BUT as I say, if the pavements were laid out correctly, this would not be so much of a big issue.

Louisa.

No doubt they are the very same people who go to Lordship Lane just to look at the people eating out in restaurants (who themselves are there only to be seen by other people). Them, and the people who go out blocking the pavement while they count the number of people queueing up at the cheeses shop.

Enraging!

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Just Pedestrianize Lordship lane and send all the

> Traffic down Barry Road - Peckham Rye - East

> Dulwich Road.

>

> Fox.

Probably the best idea I?ve heard of for a while. All these so called ?elected officials?, and someone with common sense speaks up and solves the issue just like that. I have wondered for a long time why Lordship Lane wasn?t pedestrianised. Barry Road is the ideal candidate for by-passing the LL, and the Rye is always busy at any time of day. It would free up a lot of space, and provide more room for pedestrians and cyclists. Councillor Barber, any opinions on this matter?

Who else thinks pedestrianising Lordship Lane is a good idea?

Louisa.

That?s a terrible idea. For starters, have you any idea what it would do to traffic on those roads you mentioned, plus do you imclude buses and delivery vehicles in that?

There are so many things wrong with that idea it?s hard to know where to start?!