Are the Lib Dems back?

2wans

I've been told that the Lib Dems are back at it again with their persistent, limp-wristed knocks. I've been busy all morning, too busy to catch the door, but have had 3 knocks so far, a knock per hour, & not expecting anyone.

Can anyone confirm?

Appreciated.

2wans Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've been told that the Lib Dems are back at it

> again with their persistent, limp-wristed knocks.

What is a "limp-wristed knock", exactly?

2wans Wrote:

> Since you have so much time on your hands, Sue,

> why don't you google search that.

I'm ill in bed, that's why I "have so much time on my hands".

Why don't you just explain, since you used the expression and I don't think it sounds very nice.

ETA: I have googled it, and it's as I thought, so perhaps you could explain why you used it.

'Limp-wristed' used, like 'confirmed bachelor' to be a shorthand for 'homosexual'. The latter was used more in obituaries, the former in insults. It isn't a nice term. It goes with 'pansy' and 'nancy-boy'. Not to mention 'fairy'. It only goes with 'Liberal Democrat' if you belong to the far right, in general.

Amended to add - or, curiously, the hard left, although in my experience it is the Marxist-Leninist/ Stalinist tendency rather than the Trots who exhibit most puritanical homophobia.

Sue, you are, at the very least, 25 years older than me, but I did not have you down as a degenerate... quite yet.

An UNMANLY knock. A loose, quiet knock has been heard, by the hour. You obviously have nothing useful to add to this thread, & it seems you spend most of your life in bed, as you're on these forums 24/7. Go get some fresh air. It'll do you some good.

I once heard a father berating his son for holding his hand out palm down - "No real man does that - hold it palm up"

I wasn't impressed,let him hold his hand how he wants, but I'm not his father LOL

Anyway Lib Dems are making some big gains at a local level - big percentage swings.

2wans, one may not be a Lib Dem supporter (I'm not) but describing party members as "limp wristed" is homophobic. If you want to criticise them (and there's plenty to criticise), then do so in a constructive way. In addition describing MB contributors as "degenerate" is not on. If you want to insult people, then Twitter would be a better forum for you.

Telling me how "homophobic" I am says more about you than it does about me. I certainly wasn't thinking homophobic when I used the word limp wristed to describe a poor sounding knock. This forum is toxic, thanks to those who spend their lives on it, jumping at any opportunity to take down anyone with an opinion. So no, Alan Medic, you would be wrong to think I ever was apart of such a forum. I've only ever viewed without an account.

I'm young, have studied & work in the art industry. 95% of my friends ARE gay. For all anyone on this forums knows, I could have well been gay, but I am not.

Thanks for the feedback.

2wans Wrote:

> Sue, you are, at the very least, 25 years older

> than me, but I did not have you down as a

> degenerate... quite yet.

>

> An UNMANLY knock. A loose, quiet knock has been

> heard, by the hour. You obviously have nothing

> useful to add to this thread, & it seems you spend

> most of your life in bed, as you're on these

> forums 24/7. Go get some fresh air. It'll do you

> some good.

What a charming post.

And so new to the forum, too.

ETA: And what exactly is "UNMANLY", anyway?

How would you describe your apparently preferred "MANLY" knock? Do "Real Men" only knock strong and hard and with a wrist that is whatever the opposite of limp is?

Do women not campaign these days?

Maybe the knocker was knocking gently so as not to wake any sleeping children?

And WTF is it to you what I do with my time and how often I post on this forum? I presently have what appears to be flu, and even if I didn't have, so what? I live locally, it's a local forum and I have every right to post on it as much as I like.

If you don't like the content or frequency of my posts, you can find another forum to spend your own important time on.

We had some Labour party muppets door knock and they somehow didn't understand 'we don't have time to answer as we are heading out and could you please not come back as we aren't going to be influenced by door knockers regardless of party'. Four hours later the same chap turned up and knocked on the door and had totally forgotten that we had told him this. sounds like a politician in the making - agrees to a promise and then reneges

Dom Johnston Wrote:

> Limp wristed knock or limp wristed handshake

> generally describes a lack of confidence rather

> than someones sexual orientation. It's one of the

> first things people are ever taught about

> interviewing, a firm handshake exudes

> confidence...

I totally agree a handshake like a wet fish is not pleasant to receive.

However as noted above, the expression "limp wristed" is generally used not to denote a lack of confidence but to denote somebody with what could be described as effeminate characteristics, or as the OP would have it, "unmanly".

Sue Wrote:

> Dom Johnston Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Limp wristed knock or limp wristed handshake

> > generally describes a lack of confidence rather

> > than someones sexual orientation. It's one of

> the

> > first things people are ever taught about

> > interviewing, a firm handshake exudes

> > confidence...

>

>

> I totally agree a handshake like a wet fish is not

> pleasant to receive.

>

> However as noted above, the expression "limp

> wristed" is generally used not to denote a lack of

> confidence but to denote somebody with what could

> be described as effeminate characteristics, or as

> the OP would have it, "unmanly".

"Limp wristed is/was a euphemism as described by P68 during less enlightened times" - nxjen

... probably time to ditch your dusty old book of euphemisms, Sue.

If I ever used the word "limp wristed" infront of my friends, it has gone straight over their heads.

2018, just saying!

Thank you so much for clearing that up, Dom.

KidKruger Wrote:

> I've never known 'limp-wristed' is supposed to be

> a homophobic term.

> I always took it to mean someone who acts a bit

> weak/no vigour or gumption.

I remember when if you held your hand that way up as you walked with the fingers drooping down - it supposedly signified you were gay (1980s maybe). There were loads of other little mannerisms then too - actually we were obsessed then.

Sometimes little things need to be picked up on, because if they are not they become acceptable.

If that leads to a slanging match, then that is regrettable.

Better that than pretending it doesn't matter, in my opinion.

So-called "limp wristed" people are part of the community too. Aren't they?

It's the tacit acceptance of this kind of language that gets kids bullied at school for being "different", and not how the other kids think they should be.

I personally think it is worthwhile to point this out. I'm sorry you find it embarrassing.

Sue, you do understand that limp is a word with a whole meaning of its own, right?

If I had written a "limp knock", rather than a "limp-wristed" knock,

you probably wouldn't have jumped to the conclusion that I was being homophobic, correct?

I'm just destroying brain cells at this point by reading your messages. Take LIMP for what it means. It was, by every definition of the word LIMP, a limp wristed knock. End of discussion.