New security screens at self-checkout in Sainsbury's

Robert Poste's Child

Horrible! I completely accept Sainsbury's right to enhance security but these screens are dreadfully intrusive for anyone who's not comfortable having their face in HD in front of them everywhere they turn. It could be seriously distressing or even triggering for people with body dysmorphia, eating disorders or mental health problems.

Another thing: Sainsbury's chooses to have a large self-service area for cost/profit reasons. The message this sends out is, 'we don't want to pay staff to serve you but we don't trust you to serve yourself' - as though they're doing you a favour by allowing you to spend your money, and at what is the most expensive supermarket in the area.

Maybe I'd have felt differently if the staff member covering the area also used the screens to notice when people need help or to clear up the squashed fruit someone had left.

I already do much of my shopping at Lidl so I'm going to switch off Sainsbury's now.

I don't like them either RPC, and agree with most of your sentiments above.....but "It could be seriously distressing or even triggering for people with body dysmorphia, eating disorders or mental health problems"?....that might be over-egging the pudding a little in my view.....

Maybe don't use them, if quests are forming in ordinary check out area, and enough people complain, they may get rid. we do forget how powerful we are as consumers...... Use your feet they need us, we do not need them, there are others....

Haven't been to Sainsbury's for ages, and now I too feel the need to go and investigate these screens :))

Maybe I can combine it with a trip to buy the things I can only buy in Sainsbury's (if they still sell them ....)

Surely their check-outs can't all now be self service though? Aren't supermarkets obliged to have at least one till with an actual assistant, or is that wishful thinking?

bodsier Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Maybe don't use them, if quests are forming in

> ordinary check out area, and enough people

> complain, they may get rid. we do forget how

> powerful we are as consumers...... Use your feet

> they need us, we do not need them, there are

> others....

I never use the self check-outs as I always feel doing so is encouraging the big chains to cut staff.

and I actually like having interaction with a human being.

For me its worth the few miniutes wait to show the big chains that people (i.e.;the staff)matter and we don't all want to be served by robots.

DKH has both serviced and the large self-service area that was extended a while back, plus another 8 self-service separately in the middle. Usually only about half the serviced tills are operating. I use the self-service as I'm not buying much and it's quicker given the serviced tills usually have queues of people with full trolleys.

It's about time I stopped using Sainsbury's anyway. I buy all the essentials from Lidl then the few items I get from Sainsbury's cost as much as they do, which is annoying.

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

> Now having visions of baffled Sainsbury's staff

> staring at an endless procession of EDFers

> clutching a pint of milk queuing up for the

> self-service over the next few days...

:)) :)) :))

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

> Now having visions of baffled Sainsbury's staff

> staring at an endless procession of EDFers

> clutching a pint of milk queuing up for the

> self-service over the next few days...

?There?s no such thing as bad publicity?

It seems to me that the self service checkout is not a good strategy long term for the supermarkets. People can shop online an have stuff delivered if they're primary concern is speed and convenience. Human interaction and the ability to browse... the 'experience', is surely the differentiating factor on which physical stores are competing nowadays. They need to enhance those aspects not remove them if they're going to compete with the Ocados and Amazons of this world.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> It seems to me that the self service checkout is

> not a good strategy long term for the

> supermarkets. People can shop online an have stuff

> delivered if they're primary concern is speed and

> convenience. Human interaction and the ability to

> browse... the 'experience', is surely the

> differentiating factor on which physical stores

> are competing nowadays. They need to enhance those

> aspects not remove them if they're going to

> compete with the Ocados and Amazons of this world.

Agreed - I don't do home deliver as I like fruit and veg to be unripe (it'll ripen at home if I want it to).

I only use the self-service at Asda for a few top up items - and then I call over the attendant often - as something always goes wrong (I've been known to threaten the machine LOL) :)