Motorcycle Scooters / We Ride London protest rally ULEZ Around Parliament Square at 4:30PM

natty01295

From above link

As a reminder of why we are protesting:

Safety: 36 riders died on London?s streets in 2016. Initial, invalidated numbers suggest this has increase in 2017. We want schemes that put motorcyclists at risk such as lane narrowing and painted cycle lanes to stop and policies such as use of bus lanes to be consistently applied in all boroughs across London and across the UK

Security: Theft of motorcycles & scooters and scooter enabled theft has reached epidemic levels within London. Over 16,000 motorcycles & scooters were stolen last year, a significant increase year on year. Criminals operate with impunity and our police forces are starved of funds and have their hands tied by fear of the IPCC. We need investment in prevention, detection and investigation capability to close these gangs down for good and we need policies that allow the police forces to chase & apprehend these criminals while at the same time ensuring sentencing is a true deterrent. We also want more secure parking to be provided by the boroughs in London. More and more insurance companies are pricing themselves out of London coverage leading many riders unable to afford to fund their means of commuting.

Cost: Motorcycles & Scooters riders are happy to pay their way in proportionate costs. With the introduction of the (Ultra Low Emission Zone) ULEZ charge, older motorcycles & scooters will have to pay the same tariff as cars (?12.50 per day) This is despite Transport for London?s own data showing that motorcycles & scooters contribute less than 1% of the pollution in London. Adding this to the issues of insurance highlighted above, motorcycles & scooter riders are having to pay more and more to get to work.

• 3 weeks later...

I must say I don't agree with the ULEZ point, at least not unless and until someone can elaborate on it in greater detail. After all, older bikes do pollute more. If I understand correctly, it's pre-euro 3 bikes, i.e. pre-2007 bikes, that would be affected. We are talking about bikes which are 11 years old, or more.

ULEZ compliant used bikes and scooters start from ?500. I appreciate that for some poor underpaid worker, Deliveroo rider etc it may easily be much more money than it would be for me, but it doesn't seem totally unreasonable. Not to mention that replacing such an old scooter might actually be cheaper in the long run in terms of maintenance and servicing.

As a cyclist, driver and someone with a motorbike license the thing that accords with me is security. I have had four push bikes(the last one straight on Gum Tree) and one 600cc motor bike nicked (into a van and onto the continent). With cordless angle grinders we've lost the war... This affects my quality of life far more than safety (even though this could be an end to my quality of life....) and we will have to beg to differ on the ULEZ. Did own a couple of two strokes though.....

There's plenty of pre 2007 bikes around which people use as commuter hacks - I had one until six months ago. There was nothing up with it but part of the reason I sold it was the regs and an easy life.

Also there are plenty of pre 2007 bikes which are Euro 3 compliant. At the moment there's no clear mechanism to distinguish them (that I know of) and if it's not sorted they'll just throw a blanket charge on the older bikes regardless.

Yes, Brexit is a great chance to pollute more. Let's take back control of our pollution, old chap!

Plus I'm sure it will be easy to convince manufacturers that our islands are so significant they warrant the development of new models that meet our standards only. I mean, it's not like there is any cost saving in producing a model that meets the toughest requirements, rather than one for the tougher countries and one for the less-tough ones...

Unfortunately those continentals send us their pollution. I mean we've done the right thing and moved all that nasty heavy industry to central Europe and those naughty Frenchies waft the emissions over here like a scene from the Holy Grail.

Having seen the soot that came out of trucks, buses and SUVs in India give me European standards any day.

malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Unfortunately those continentals send us their pollution. I mean we've done the right thing and

> moved all that nasty heavy industry to central Europe and those naughty Frenchies waft the

> emissions over here like a scene from the Holy Grail.

You mean they fart in our general direction?

• 1 month later...