Freeview problems

Zebedee Tring

People may recall that a couple of weeks ago we were advised to retune our TVs and other devices running Freeview because a number of channels would be changing.

Since retuning we haven't been to get the BBC News Channel on HD (107 on Freeview) on our Humax digital recorder (we use Freesat for our main TV so haven't had any problem here).

Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi ZT,

I have tried retuning several times and still can't get the BBC HD news. I have read that the aerial may need changing but there was never a problem before and my aerial is a high gain roof mounted one so not sure what they would want it changing to..

These are the freeview channels carried by multiplex Com7, which has now been moved to UHF channel 55. Is it only BBC News that's missing, or all of them?

56 5USA +1, 57 5Spike 1, 64 CBS Action +1, 67 CBS Drama, 82 Vintage TV, 84 Quest Red +1, 87 Keep It Country, 107 BBC News HD, 108 Al Jazeera Eng HD, 109 Channel 4+1 HD, 110 4seven HD, 113 RT HD

You might try manually tuning channel 55, if your Humax will let you. It might also just be worth scrolling though its freeview channel list, to see if it's placed BBC News HD somewhere other than #107. I had a box that on one occasion decided to place some channels somewhere like the 900s after a retuning.

I have lost all of the Com 7 channels despite retuning. According to the Freeview website "Retuning your Freeview TV or box should restore your channels in most cases. However, in some cases you may need a new aerial to continue watching all available services. For more information or help with this call the Freeview Advice Line on freephone 0808 100 0288. Support may be available where a new aerial is required."

Read more at https://www.freeview.co.uk/tvchanges#Gyi3lQoAt6Gs2sXp.99

I believe from that that they may sort out and possibly pay for any changes required to your aerial.It does say that the problem may affect older rooftop aerial in particular.

This article https://www.a516digital.com/2018/03/londoners-struggle-with-freeview.html confirms the prroblem for some, and outlines some probable causes and remedies. The most likely cause seems to be having a Group A aerial, which is good for the frequencies of the main multiplexes but may not be for the higher ones now used by Com7 and Com8, which is Group C/D aerial territory. The remedy then is to get a wideband aerial, ie one capable of covering the whole frequency range. This article sets out the aerial/frequency relationship quite nicely: http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/reception_guide.

If I were affected (I'm not; my TV doesn't have an HD tuner) I think I'd be trying an indoor aerial before going to any greater expense. Note what the first article says near its end about the possibility of another changearound in 2020!

UHF frequencies 55 and 56 are being removed in 2020. This is so frequencies can be used for mobile broadband to improve coverage.

What will happen is that the temp HD mutliplexes will close, but there's no confirmation if we'll all have to upgrade to DVB-T2, the standard used for HD tv on Freeview. This would enable the current Freeview channels which broadcast currently in DVB-T to broadcast alongside HD channels using existing multiplexes.

However if this happens, you'll require a TV or Freeview box that can receive the current HD channels.