The ants are back earlier than expected

IlonaM

I woke up this morning to find an ant infestation. We're barely into Spring! When I had early ants in May last year (after June in 2016) I resorted to the exterminator to spray the bathroom and filled up entry points. Of course, they have found a new way in, this time into the hall outside the kitchen.

I have put down peppermint oil as a deterrent whilst I am waiting for ant traps and am planning to fill the gaps in the lino around old gas pipes. In the meantime, has anyone got any ideas please.

Unfortunately I am a ground floor, garden flat, probably with a space under the house (Victorian) where they thrive.

Hi Ilona,

Check any paved areas just outside your flat, if you see any cracks with a small mound of sand like material & ant procession that's the nest - boiling water down it will finish em.

Otherwise powder poison is good (with obvious caution re pets and children)

Hope vaguely helpful...

Hi Curlylocks,

Thank you for your advice - very helpful. I shall have a look tomorrow, although given the location of the nest last year (below the floor in the airing cupboard) I have a feeling they are under the floorboards. They are coming in just near the cat's favourite place to sleep so am trying to move her tonight. She is not amused. Still, the mice aren't visiting with a resident huntress!

Just been researching peppermint oil & cats - apparently there's research that it is dangerous for cats, so will be substituting basil from now on. Basil is a well-known ant repellant apparently - thanks for the heads up Lilou.

A lot of places sell a white powder in a red and black plastic jar as an ant killer, which I have found to be absolutely useless. Sean DIY opposite ED station sells a gell called Nippon which is brilliant. The little devils carry it back into the nest where ideally it kills the queen. Without that regicide you will never get rid of them.

Thanks apbremer. I'm a little wary of using poison because of the cat. Unfortunately they are coming out in the hall this year, so hard to prevent the cat from walking past on the way to the kitchen.

That's an interesting option as well Intexasatthemoment. Thank you.

Sue - I'm not looking forward to flying ant season at all! - had an awful time with them last year. Had to call out pest control. Hopefully I'll be better prepared this year, although this early lot caught me unprepared.

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> That stuff they carry back to their nests works.

>

> Sorry ants.

>

> Now we just have the flying ant season to look

> forward to. Hooray.

That's Nippon I think - we used that way back in the 70's I remember (along with boiling water).

I think the only effrctive way is the gel they carry back to the nest. You have to kill them all and the most effective way is to take out the ability to reproduce. You can kill every ant that ventures out of the nest, but what good is that if the queen is not dealt with too?

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ilona ,I think the Nippon bait stations are going

> to be the way to go

> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stop-Bait-Station-Individ

> ual-contains/dp/B00757QH62/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_86_bs_i

> mg_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WVVEKQWZHRXS9RQJE

> 2NN

Yes, they are the ones I have used in the past, and they definitely worked for me (and quite quickly, too).