Vouchers that are time limited

malumbu

After advising another poster to ask a local company 'nicely' to wave a fee I am now going to have a rant. Pot kettle black rearrange. I'm expecting some abuse!

Anyway I get vouchers sometime which get put to one side and forgot about. Then I find and use. Apart from occasionally when I find they are out of date. Only some companies have a time limit and expect they profit very nicely (caveat emptor).

I've asked the bicycle store franchise nicely to honour the vouchers and they've escalated but "no". I've ranted (by e-mail) that they are thieves and tempted to take stuff to the value and then let them and the authorities to decide whether I am a shop lifter.

Any views?

Ooh I don't know.

I get Sainsburys vouchers every shop but they know I won't use them by the expiry date as I'd be spending way too much on food if I did. Never tried using out of date ones.

But generally companies give in if you push it (usually under 'good will')- I argued for my car park fine to be waived (and they did) whilst most people I know say I deserved it.

If it?s out of date it?s out of date. Agreee about the Sainsbury?s ones. So little time to use - cynical.

If it?s been left too late, voucher run out and extension refused gotta suck it up.

Suppose you could try escalating. Is it worth getting angry/ stressed about?

HP

You lot are as useful as a chocolate tea pot.

I'm old enough to remember when you got postal orders for birthday presents. Imagine if a five year old me had turned up at the post office to redeem my ten shillings and be told that the postal order had expired. Perhaps I should check my postage stamps to see if they are date stamped.

I occasionally get vouchers from network rail as recompense and I have learned to check whether they are date stamped. But that is not me exchanging money for tokens, that is the company compensating me.

I have M&S vouchers, they are not limited. I have a Nandos token for some reason, that is not time limited. I don't assume that there are terms and conditions (more savvy readers would have noticed my caveat emptor comment).

So I have been robbed by the cycle shop of ?25.

East Dulwich, when they kick at your front door how you going to come

Obviously with your hand on your head, and not the trigger of your gun.

A reference to kicking against the pricks, not the use of firearms before you get all uppity.

Oh do shut up Malumbu.

Being disorganised this has happened to me frequently and makes me furious (partly at myself of course). Time limited gift vouchers should be banned, there's no conceivable justification for them - in fact the longer one doesn't spend a voucher the better for the store, as they've already got the cash so they can earn interest on it all the time you don't spend. Would be genuinely interested to know if anyone knows a justification beyond we'll make a profit if someone forgets?

But the issue was what to do about these which ARE time limited.

So best advice - next time check to see if/ when they expire.

Personally I have some that do / some that don?t. Yes I check them.

You?ve asked the shop and escalated. Not really sure what you expect forumites to do that?s more ?useful?.

HP