Vauxhall City Farm music nights

rendelharris

Just been to a great gig at the above mentioned, watching the wondrous Elliott Morris (look him up on YouTube),an astonishingly good guitarist. Lovely atmosphere, great people, very reasonably priced (?9 a ticket if bought online, ?3 for a bottle of beer) well worth a visit. All profits go back into the farm to help their work with schoolchildren, riding for the disabled etc. First Thursday of every month. Give it a go, we're going back!

N.B. I have no connection whatsoever with VCF,in fact despite teaching at a school round the corner from them for quite a few years this was my first visit, just thought people might like to know about it and they deserve some publicity.

VCF is a fantastic place - maybe it's an over-used term, but I think it truly is a hidden gem. The music nights are quite a new innovation, but so far have been very well attended and I've heard a lot of good feedback about them.

On a sunny day there are few better places to take children to have fun and to meet (and learn about) the animals, learn about food etc. at the same time. It's free entry too (although donations are always welcome).

Yes, I'm going to go back in the day as well to see the animals - I had a chat with the CEO and she told me "Nothing gets your thoughts straight better than chatting with an alpaca." Need to try that. By the way, she told me that they hire out for meetings/workshops as well (that's why she told me about the alpacas, apparently people like to go and talk to them in their "breakout" time!), be a great place for that.

Maybe check first if you are specifically going to see the animals.

We took my grandkids there a few years back, and the day we went there were hardly any animals there, because they'd all been taken to some event somewhere else.

That was unlucky, but it's good advice. Having said that, it's not often that many animals are taken out of VCF. The weekend of the Lambeth Country Show is one - VCF has a large presence there, so that weekend will be one (21-22 July). The Dulwich Fair (or whatever it is called) at Dulwich Park has also seen a reasonable VCF animal presence in the past (not sure what VCF's presence will be this year).