Disappearing threads

• Administrator

Argghh, I'm really sorry about the chapel of rest thread. I think it may have been accidentally deleted. I think you're right and it may have got caught up in the spam purging. Oh those Russians!

Please feel free to start another Chapel of Rest thread for our dearly departed Chapel of Rest thread.

Administrator Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Apologies, it looks like Gender Stereotypes thread

> was deleted too, not for any censorship reason but

> by accident.

Oh ! Admin ! How could you ? That was some of my bestest work. Quoted Nietzsche and everyfink :)

Actually, in all seriousness I was, genuinely, surprised as there was nothing derogatory on there at all.

Just a minor little local difficulty with Loz and I, which I am sure neither of us were the least worried about. lol

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

> That and a heap of blind spot sexism.

Views based on what I have seen virtually every week of every month of every year of every decade but no data no opinion, it seems...and given the contentious part was against my OWN gender then are you saying you can be sexist about your own gender ?.

Quia Differt Wrote:

> Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > That and a heap of blind spot sexism.

>

> Views based on what I have seen virtually every

> week of every month of every year of every decade

> but no data no opinion, it seems...and given the

> contentious part was against my OWN gender then

> are you saying you can be sexist about your own

> gender ?.

Of course you can - Margaret Thatcher was a prime example of a woman-hating woman who notoriously didn't like promoting women - only one rose above junior minister level in her whole tenure. The definition of sexism is having a prejudice towards or discriminating against a particular gender, it doesn't say anything about having to be of the opposite gender. I happen to know a person of Asian heritage who is shockingly racist towards other Asians. Odd, but it happens.

rendelharris Wrote:

> Quia Differt Wrote

.and given the contentious part was against my OWN gender then

> > are you saying you can be sexist about your own

> > gender ?.

>

> Of course you can - Margaret Thatcher was a prime

> example of a woman-hating woman who notoriously

> didn't like promoting women - only one rose above

> junior minister level in her whole tenure. The

> definition of sexism is having a prejudice towards

> or discriminating against a particular gender, it

> doesn't say anything about having to be of the

> opposite gender. I happen to know a person of

> Asian heritage who is shockingly racist towards

> other Asians. Odd, but it happens.

Makes perfect sense rh. I have known more than a few Women who want as little to do as possible with their own gender.

A good Ladyfriend who would be 62 now hated her All-Girls School. Had no interest whatsoever in "Girlie" things. Gained an excellent Degree in Civil Engineering at Imperial College and worked on Oil Rigs and the like all her life. A real grafter and she did all my Plumbing,Electrical Work, Roofing,Guttering,Carpentry , Decorating and so on but she had no time for other Females and had a distant relationship with her Mother who was a Bohemian idealist and Teacher.

She was more pragmatic. Thinking about it she had the technique to knock down a solid 1930's Brick Wall where some men could not remove a single brick to convert 2 of my bedrooms into one and she was an exoert Fencer who insisted that every individual slat was an 1/8th higher than the one next to it and this involved 150 slats. Mind-blowing.

Question then rendel can you be sexist against both sexes as I went through various situations both praising and critising both Males and Females ?

Quia Differt Wrote:

> Question then rendel can you be sexist against

> both sexes as I went through various situations

> both praising and critising both Males and Females

> ?

Misandrist + Misogynist = Misanthrope?

(I missed what happened. Was my black cab guess correct?)

Quia Differt Wrote:

> rendelharris Wrote:

> -----

> > Quia Differt Wrote

> .and given the contentious part was against my OWN

> gender then

> > > are you saying you can be sexist about your

> own

> > > gender ?.

> >

> > Of course you can - Margaret Thatcher was a

> prime

> > example of a woman-hating woman who notoriously

> > didn't like promoting women - only one rose

> above

> > junior minister level in her whole tenure. The

> > definition of sexism is having a prejudice

> towards

> > or discriminating against a particular gender,

> it

> > doesn't say anything about having to be of the

> > opposite gender. I happen to know a person of

> > Asian heritage who is shockingly racist towards

> > other Asians. Odd, but it happens.

>

> Makes perfect sense rh. I have known more than a

> few Women who want as little to do as possible

> with their own gender.

> A good Ladyfriend who would be 62 now hated her

> All-Girls School. Had no interest whatsoever in

> "Girlie" things. Gained an excellent Degree in

> Civil Engineering at Imperial College and worked

> on Oil Rigs and the like all her life. A real

> grafter and she did all my Plumbing,Electrical

> Work, Roofing,Guttering,Carpentry , Decorating and

> so on but she had no time for other Females and

> had a distant relationship with her Mother who was

> a Bohemian idealist and Teacher.

> She was more pragmatic. Thinking about it she had

> the technique to knock down a solid 1930's Brick

> Wall where some men could not remove a single

> brick to convert 2 of my bedrooms into one and she

> was an exoert Fencer who insisted that every

> individual slat was an 1/8th higher than the one

> next to it and this involved 150 slats.

> Mind-blowing.

>

> Question then rendel can you be sexist against

> both sexes as I went through various situations

> both praising and critising both Males and Females

> ?

Not having a lot to do with is not against though, Just that you don't have much in common so are not going to make friends.

If you were the boss though you don't promote on friendships.

• Administrator

Vik Wrote:

> Was the Imagination library thread in the Family

> Room Discussion area an accidental victim too?

It was yes, I think because it had the title "Dolly Parton's Imagination library" it was mistaken for spam.

Loz Wrote:

> Quia Differt Wrote:

> -----

> > Question then rendel can you be sexist against

> > both sexes as I went through various situations

> > both praising and critising both Males and

> Females

> > ?

>

> Misandrist + Misogynist = Misanthrope?

Or , maybe , I was just looking at each Subject I mentioned and saying what my life's experience showed me.

Therefore in some respects in my 'umble opinion both genders deserve praise and criticism for different things,

A quick synopsis of what you missed showed that you missed a Magnum Opus by me . I was criticizing your thought process whereby you were quick to say something was a load of xxxxxxxxx and yet appear to have a Zen-like calm over anybody undertaking you which is potentially life-threatening. I wondered, among other things, what Nietzsche's perspective would have been on your aggression and tranquillity.

I also answered point-by-point in a decisive and unforgettable manner the points you raised but I damned if I can remember what I said now other than it was rather profound and, naturally, correct....

"Black Cab Driver ?

I own 2 small/medium-sized Businesses and am not a Black Cab Driver though I did 2 years of Mini-Cabbing in a previous reincarnation. I was basing my view on thousands of my car journeys socially both as a driver and passenger.

• 2 weeks later...

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

> Mind you, if you want a genuine discussion on

> gender, don't pepper it with the word 'ladies'.

> Hard to take it seriously after that.

I didn't read that thread but wondering is the word 'ladies' offensive to women, and if so why? I only ask because if the male equivalent is 'gents', I just wouldn't find that at all offensive.

Alan Medic Wrote:

> I didn't read that thread but wondering is the

> word 'ladies' offensive to women, and if so why? I

> only ask because if the male equivalent is

> 'gents', I just wouldn't find that at all

> offensive.

I was told (by a postgrad tutor who returned an essay with every use of the word crossed out and "woman" substituted) that "lady" implies certain standards of behaviour - meekness, gentility, decorum etc - that women don't necessarily want imposed upon them, in a way that "gentleman" doesn't, if that implies anything it just implies one's a bit of a toff. After arguing about it for half an hour I came to see her point of view, though I still find it difficult in speech not to say lady instead of woman, just a habit.

I remember reading somewhere, though I can't recall where as it's Sunday morning and I'm nearly fifty, a contemporary newspaper editorial which said something like "The vile suffragettes are supposedly fighting for rights for women; we prefer to defend the rights of ladies." It's that sort of distinction that leads to the objections I think.

Can't resist sharing a great anecdote about George Thomas, later Viscount Tonypandy, speaker of the House of Commons: a newly elected MP came up to him and asked where he could find "the bogs." Thomas replied, "The lavatory, you mean? Oh yes, go along the corrdior, turn left and on your right you'll see a door marked 'Gentlemen' - but don't let that put you off..."

not offensive, just patronising, and also dated - it marks the user out as being of a certain age and mindset

so s/he who springs to the defence of 'the ladies' can't, pretty much by definition, be taken seriously by 'the ladies', unless s/he pleads extreme age in his/her own defence

just say 'women' - problem solved

To me it's just archaic language. I always look at the person choosing to use it and quite often people refusing to evolve in other ways. Or gammon. That said, some women, possibly an older generation, do prefer it. It's more significant I feel when, if gently corrected, the user makes a big issue out of it - speaks volumes.