The Chapel of Rest

rendelharris

As the original thread got lost in the cyberattack, I hope it's OK to start a new one: Tom Wolfe. The Electric Koolaid Acid Test was a fascinating look at the end of the sixties from one who was there, and I think Bonfire of the Vanities and A Man in Full deserve to be regarded as two of the great American novels of the turn of the millennium - a US Dickens, no less.

hammerman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ramon (Ray) Wilson, member of the 1966 World Cup

> winning England team, who sadly died on Tuesday

> whilst suffering from Alzheimers Disease, aged 83.

Did not realise that. Amazed no-one has already mentioned this World Cup winning English hero's demise before now....

Sadly, Martin Peters,Nobby Stiles and Jimmy Greaves are 3 members of that squad who are all suffering with this too....

Quia Differt Wrote:

> hammerman Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Ramon (Ray) Wilson, member of the 1966 World

> Cup

> > winning England team, who sadly died on Tuesday

> > whilst suffering from Alzheimers Disease, aged

> 83.

>

> Did not realise that. Amazed no-one has already

> mentioned this World Cup winning English hero's

> demise before now....

>

> Sadly, Martin Peters,Nobby Stiles and Jimmy

> Greaves are 3 members of that squad who are all

> suffering with this too....

Actually Jimmy had a stroke and re-married the Lady who he, originally, married in 1958 !

Apollo 12 Astronaut Alan Bean who was the 4th man to walk on the moon, commanded the second SkyLab mission and became a renowned artist, has died at 86.

https://www.space.com/40718-alan-bean-apollo-moonwalker-artist-obituary.html

I had the pleasure of meeting Alan Bean at an inspiring lecture he gave in the UK in 2013 where he talked about his missions and illustrated his account with his paintings.

From the distance of half a century the Apollo program can seem like a remote historical event. Hearing the human stories of this great series of achievements firsthand from people who were part of the team that made it happen brings it closer and links us to it.

RIP Alan Bean.

Sad to hear and what a lot he achieved in his lifetime.

I was only 6 in 1969 and my primary school teacher had two kittens that she wanted to find a home for. They were brothers and were named Apollo and Splashdown after the events of the space journey. My Mum took on Splashdown and what a lovely cat he was. I can still see him sprawled out in the sunshine!

• 2 weeks later...

teddyboy23 Wrote:

> John the owner of chener books LL

Oh, very sorry to hear that - only knew him as a customer but he made Chener everything a proper bookshop should be, instead of a coffee and souvenir stand with a few books attached. RIP.

Oh how sad to hear this news, especially in the 40th year of business and he was due to retire this year. We have lost part of the local community and a poster here on EDF.

I hope details of the funeral will be made available so those who which to pay their respects maybe able to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...