Sydenham... what's it like?

Dom Johnston

Hi all,

No ED I know, but I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on Sydenham. My wife and I are potentially looking at buying there and I hoped that some of you lovely lot could help me out a bit.

Are there any parts to avoid/aim for (apart from the Thorpes - my budget won't stretch that far)?

Has anyone moved there recently? What's it like?

I keep seeing good things and the "up and coming" gambit thrown around a lot.

Any info would be amazing. Thank you

It's slow to blossom. There are some amazing residential roads coming from the high street but it's the high street that's still lacking. It'll keep improving, but don't expect Lordship establishments, Bellenden lovelies or Rye Lane upstarts in abundance.

I bought a house there near Wells Park 17 years ago, and yes it?s ?come up? as they say. I like the area although I now live in ED again, but I?d live there again as it?s got so many things I like. And the whole area feels a bit more spacious.

I?d rather stay in the Upper Sydenham area though, not sure about the bit beyond the bridge, but The Thorpe roads are lovely if that?s your thing. Pricey too.

It?s also a good area to get to other places from, East London in 20+ minutes and beyond, easy to London Bridge too. I moved there on the basis that the train line was coming and it made a massive difference when it did.

Good luck , it?s 👍🏽 in Sydenham.

It's not as good since Chasers nightlcub closed down!

But I like Sydenham.. you won't find the choice of nice restaurants and stuff that we have here, but there are a couple of good pubs, and places to get a decent coffee, etc. Some lovely houses. The main high street is pretty much completely ungentrified, but this does usually tend to mean there might be some actual useful shops. Never found it rough/dodgy at all.

It's not as pretentious as East Dulwich. Well that is an obvious statement for 98% of SE London. Lived there for 9 years when I came to London. You adapt a place. It's becoming gentrified, there are more affluent places, and less such as going into Downham/Bellingham/Catford/Penge. But then Penge is on the way up. Main downsides? Long high street that doen't work that well, the vandalisation of the once wonderful Greyhound pub, and ditto for the Golden Lion and Woodhouse.

Upsides, decent curry houses, restaurant, Slatters bakery/the cakeshop, community arts performance place, gallery, Rolf Harris, Sydenham Festival.

Can you solve the mystery of the murder at the Golden Lion? https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/10/daniel-morgan-how-private-eyes-haunts-britains-powerful-30-years-on

Looking at the housing stock and the grand Victorian shops it was a very desirable place until maybe 90 years ago.

malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Upsides, decent curry houses, restaurant, Slatters

> bakery/the cakeshop, community arts performance

> place, gallery, Rolf Harris, Sydenham Festival.

How is Rolf Harris an upside?! Anyway I believe he doesn't live there any more, that's an upside!

Often talk about the wonderful public service broadcasts of my childhood and then realise that most of them were voiced over by Jimmy Saville or Rolf Harris. Wrong to actually compare the two of them of course. There was an earlier time when it would have been good to associate Sydenham with Rolf. Here's a relevant thread. Sydenham was also seen as a place that gangsters would move to on their way from the Old Kent Road and then onto the leafier boroughs. The drinking holes on Wells Park Road may have been some of their hang outs (long since gone).

Wells Park and Mayow Park are both lovely.

https://www.sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149

I've always quite liked Sydenham and there are some very good bars and restaurants there. Mrs Oldie and I got a 176 to the (fairly) newly opened Greyhound on the site of the original Greyhound. Staff were lovely and the food and drink was very good we thought. Also the transport conections are excellent. It may not be ED yet but it won't be far behind I'm sure given a bit more time. Also very good family Italian there Trattoria Raffaele. Not far from the notorious Golden Lion, was it Old Bill??

flocker spotter Wrote:

> Penge is now the official residence of the gaoled

> Britain First martyrs - shrieking Jayda and her

> potato headed soul mate (whatever he is called).

I suspect that was just a postal address - they probably spent all their time in Ramsgate, Dover, or some other part of Kent, where they were more likely to find allies. Nobody admitted to ever seeing them in SE20.

Cringe. It's not East Dulwich yet. TF.

Interesting on Penge which I expect is far too multicultural for the far right movement.

The new Greyhound is hot and soulless. Head for the much nicer Dolphin.

Agree on the Italian - which was the feature of a separate thread where I sensed a lot of jealousy from SE22.

And yes the OB was part of a cover up/conspiracy, well at least that's what the Guardian said https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/10/daniel-morgan-how-private-eyes-haunts-britains-powerful-30-years-on

Make your own mind up.

And home of the former Rossi's ice cream (Francis's family) and the former Criterion Ice Cream parlour.

Good thing that I am keeping you on your feet.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in sydenham where Lawrie Park rd/Wiverton rd is and I can tell you it is a quitelovely safe area.

Sydenham station and all the buses to move around (like all aoround London tho).

Walking distance to Crystal Palace Park and the National Sport Centre runned by better! Which Iam a member.

Great area but not high like Dulwich i can say.it is improving tho.

Forest Hill is a nice area as well. Love the cafe and restaruants .

sabrina79 Wrote:

> I live in sydenham where Lawrie Park rd/Wiverton

> rd is and I can tell you it is a quitelovely safe

> area.

> Sydenham station and all the buses to move around

> (like all aoround London tho).

> Walking distance to Crystal Palace Park and the

> National Sport Centre runned by better! Which Iam

> a member.

> Great area but not high like Dulwich i can say.it

> is improving tho.

> Forest Hill is a nice area as well. Love the cafe

> and restaruants .

We've lived in Forest Hill near the Horniman Museum for 7 years.

Its a great area, lovely neighbours, lots of open space a few miniutes away. a decent Sainsburys, Boots, WHSmith,Superdrug,a superb butchers and independent cafes and resturants as well as Forest Hill Pools

Lordship Lane shops and bars are a walk away, or a short bus-ride. ditto Crystal Palace.

TBH I would chose this area above Sydenham.

Sydenham gets a name check on Page 4 of A Laying of Hands by Alan Bennett.

Yep, I?ve stored that useful fact in my head for years.

There are two distinctly different areas of Sydenham. Upper and Lower.

The later is dull as dishwater and the Lower Sydenham train station is quite possibly even duller. However, the Upper area towards Crystal Palace is more pleasing to the eye.

At ?Cobbs Corner? roundabout (surely to be renamed ?Nando?s Corner?) is the better connected Sydenham station which is part of the East London (Orange) Line.

Lastly, there is a Sydenham Hill station (which isn?t really in Sydenham proper) connecting you to Herne Hill, Brixton and then Victoria, this station is partly set in a woodland and is quite charming in its old London suburban way.

Townleygreen Wrote:

> Penge East is used by many Sydenham-ites as it's

> closer than Syd Hill to most of the inhabitants

> who wish to get to Brixton, Victoria etc.

Correct, but it?s a weird place is Penge East. The air is permeated with the smell of chips and deep fried batter.