How are you keeping cool in the ED heat?

trinidad

Drink lots of Tea.. A Hot drink on a Hot day will help to cool you down.

Cold drinks and ice-cream do not cool you down.

The heat this generates is beneficial when it?s cold, but when outside temperatures rise, we need to avoid overheating. While it may seem logical that introducing something cold, like ice cream, into the stomach should help reduce temperature, its initial cooling effect is rapidly replaced by heat generated by digestive processes needed to break down the nutrients in ice cream. Digesting calorie-rich food leads to an increase in body temperature.

DulwichFox

Hot drinks definitely doesn?t cool me down, I start sweating after drinking a hot drink in this weather. Cold drinks cold fans, make sure I walk in the shade, drawing curtains where it?s really sunny to stop the room getting even more furnace like. Cool showers and I wet my hair completely and leave it to dry as I find wet hair keeps my body temperature down more. Hydrate lots by eating lots of fruits, salads etc as these are mostly water. Walk at a snail?s pace. Pray for snow.

JohnL Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm not :(

Nor am I.

Having some time critical things to do on my allotment (apart from watering obvs) hasn't helped. I felt really faint in the heat yesterday morning :(

DulwichBorn&Bred Wrote:

> Hot drinks definitely doesn?t cool me down, I

> start sweating after drinking a hot drink in this

> weather.

That's the point: when you drink a hot liquid, the nerves in the tongue alert the brain to the fact that you're doing something that will raise body temperature, so it begins the sweat response, which is, of course, a cooling mechanism. Unless it's very humid the cooling action of evaporating sweat outweighs the slight rise in internal temperature from the drink.

If you are hot during a heatwave I doubt many people would recommends a cup of tea because your sweat can?t evaporate in this humid weather. When I?m hot cold drinks keeps me hydrated, hot drinks makes me too warm and doesn?t hydrate me enough and takes me ages to cool down because it?s not evaporating properly. I?ll go with what works for my body.

rendelharris Wrote:

> DulwichBorn&Bred Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Hot drinks definitely doesn?t cool me down, I

> > start sweating after drinking a hot drink in

> this

> > weather.

>

> That's the point: when you drink a hot liquid, the

> nerves in the tongue alert the brain to the fact

> that you're doing something that will raise body

> temperature, so it begins the sweat response,

> which is, of course, a cooling mechanism. Unless

> it's very humid the cooling action of evaporating

> sweat outweighs the slight rise in internal

> temperature from the drink.

Having grown in brisbane in Australia, before air conditioning was anything normal people had in their homes...my tips...

Keep the curtains closed during the day, you may want to let the light in, but you'll be glad of it come the afternoon.

Only open the windows on the side of the house not facing the sun, and maybe just one of the other side to try and catch any 'cross breeze'.

When not in the room, place the fan so it blows air OUT of the room where you spend most time.

Place a bowl of ice and water infront of your fan for a poor-mans air conditioner

Dab a bit of water on exposed skin when in front of the fan, for more poor man's air conditioning (this is how evaporative ac actually works).

And if you have sash windows don?t forget:

?Although millions of homes are fitted with sash windows, few people use them correctly to cool rooms. The mechanics of airflow require the windows to be carefully positioned - assuming they haven't been sealed shut with paint - so that there is an equal gap at the top and bottom. This allows cooler air to flow into a room through the lower opening and push out warmer air through the top.

Dr Gary Hunt, an engineer at Imperial College and expert on the mechanics of natural ventilation, said: "Many of us have forgotten how to use correctly the sash windows that were so carefully installed by the Edwardians and Victorians to maximise airflow.

"If used correctly, it is possible to improve comfort significantly in the office or home without using air conditioning units that place high demands on energy and increase carbon dioxide emissions."

Using laboratory models to mimic the flow of air, Dr Hunt has measured circulation in hot, stuffy rooms. He explained: "The trick to getting the maximum flow of air through the window is to slide the sashes so the window is open equally at the top and bottom.https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1438187/Experts-reveal-best-way-to-keep-cool-open-the-window.html

to keep your cat or dog cool , I bought a lovely gel cool mat they cat lay on you can put it in the fridge or freezer , my cat loves it and loves me even more for buying it. Also put ice in their water. Keep the curtains closed when out. Love your aminals.

TheCat Wrote:

> Having grown in brisbane in Australia, before air conditioning was anything normal people had in

> their homes...my tips...

>

> Keep the curtains closed during the day, you may want to let the light in, but you'll be glad of it come the afternoon.

> Only open the windows on the side of the house not facing the sun, and maybe just one of the other side to try and catch any 'cross breeze'.

> When not in the room, place the fan so it blows air OUT of the room where you spend most time.

> Place a bowl of ice and water in front of your fan for a poor-mans air conditioner Dab a bit of water on exposed skin when in front of the fan, for more poor man's air conditioning this is how evaporative ac actually works).

very sensible advice, thanks TC

and it also helps to screen windows from outside - e.g. outside shutters like most houses have in southern europe - to reflect heat and light away before they hit your windows and heat them up as well as the air trapped between windows and curtains

and don't forget to leave a shallow pan of water outside for birds to drink and bathe in!