thai cave rescue

TheCat

Genuine question....

I've seen plenty in the papers, on the Web and on the news about how they were going to get the boys and their coach out. And naturally im genuinely thrilled that they all out safe.

But, i've not read anything explains how they ended up over 3km from the cave entrance with no guide, no gear and no idea?

It was a lot drier when they went in. There were a few narrow passes to make it interesting.

There was no guide, but they were with the coach who either was a complete novice (perhaps explaining why they went in so deep - naivety) or had been in the caves before at that time of year and had had a good experience he wanted to share with his team.

A downpour caused water levels to rise to the point where they had no chance of returning the way they came, then they had to vacate the cavern they were in when it filled-up.

I think a lot of luck was involved in this story, given the age of the team and the outcomes that were possible (inevitable ?) from waters rising in underwater caves.

Top marks to the search party who penetrated some way to find the team.

It's interesting the 'quarantine' the kids are going through at the moment, I don't know enough to understand what infections the medical team fear.

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's interesting the 'quarantine' the kids are

> going through at the moment, I don't know enough

> to understand what infections the medical team

> fear.

General weakness from having endured low temperatures and starvation for such a long time (two of the boys reportedly suffering from pneumonia) makes them vulnerable to infection, also they want to make sure that they haven't picked up any waterborne infections, or those carried by cave-dwelling bats, they could pass on to their families.

I think in common with a lot of young men in Thailand ( particularly those whose parents have died as this person's had ) the young team coach had spent several years in a Buddhist monastery . He was used to meditating and helped his young charges to survive the 9/10 days in darkness to remain still and calm .

I think regarding diseases they are concerned about those carried by rat droppings and bats .

Somewhere out there I bet people are already scrambling for the film rights. Now the kids are out and safe I hope the local officials think about this so that some money comes back to the area and all those involved (including the poor family of the diver who lost his life - surely a reminder of how very dangerous the situation was) in case they need more support in the future as PTSD can take a while to come out.

I share The Cat's perplexity - why did they do it? and how did they end up where they did? - and don't fob me off with stories about happy endings and Buddhist forbearance etc

the local equivalent is those idiots who climb Ben Nevis in January and have to be lifted off at vast expense and great risk to their rescuers - don't forget that at least one person died because of these kids and their coach

This is an interesting account

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/07/11/ap-interview-us-rescuer-details-high-risk-thai-cave-mission.html

It's not clear to me how the boys were transported ,it does seem they were really out of it - ketamine ? - and that for at least some of the time were on special stretchers that were attached to some kind of overhead "zip" line .

Quite rightly, the focus has been on getting everyone out, rather than pointing fingers.

But once the dust has settled, I think the coach should have to face the music. We don't know all the facts, and obviously I don't know if he's guilty of any criminal offence... but certainly at face value, it seems incredibly reckless to take kids several km into a cave (including narrow sections you need to wriggle through) without an expert guide.

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> Quite rightly, the focus has been on getting

> everyone out, rather than pointing fingers.

>

> But once the dust has settled, I think the coach

> should have to face the music. We don't know all

> the facts, and obviously I don't know if he's

> guilty of any criminal offence... but certainly at

> face value, it seems incredibly reckless to take

> kids several km into a cave (including narrow

> sections you need to wriggle through) without an

> expert guide.

From what I have read, their escape route was blocked and they didn't have much choice except to go further into the cave.

However, I have also read that there was a notice at the entrance to the cave warning people not to enter it during the rainy season (which was about to start).

I can't say whether any of that is true, but if the notice part is true, then it is quite worrying. However I'm not quite sure what purpose making somebody "face the music" would serve now. I'm sure the poor guy is well aware of what he could/should have done, but it's a bit late now. Further punishment would be a bit cruel, surely?

Sue Wrote:

> However I'm not quite sure what purpose

> making somebody "face the music" would serve now.

> I'm sure the poor guy is well aware of what he

> could/should have done, but it's a bit late now.

> Further punishment would be a bit cruel, surely?

Maybe not criminal proceedings - although not really for us to say. But should he remain in such a position of responsibility? If the club comes under a governing body, what can they learn regarding guidelines for trips/activities, etc. Stuff like that.

It was an honest mistake on the part of the coach.

Thai culture is very different and subtle compared to ours and us speculating from England on who should 'pay' for what is sort of irrelevant. The comment above about less infatuation with 'blame' in the region is spot on.

There won't be a person in Thailand, the region, perhaps a great part of the world, not aware of the dangers of caves by now. This will already have done more for overall future safety than publicly bollocking a football coach will.

Thank heavens this didn't happen in UK, he'd have been torn to shreds.