Tonight's game Croatia VS England What do you think of it

natty01295

I have zero interest in football but England have done well by the sound of things.

However I?m pretty relieved that rampant and misplaced nationalism won?t be unleashed by greater success. Because that undoubtedly would have happened.

I feel a bit sad about the fact that this is where we are but at the moment we can?t have anything nice because we don?t know how to look after it. Depressing World Cup analysis over.

Was mostly neutral but would have liked an England versus France final for the rivalry - as Roy Keane said they got ahead of themselves.

Gareth Southgate tried to downplay the politics and the fans were OK, there were many positives, but as a Dutch barman said to me yesterday the press can turn non English people off England.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/11/croatia-motivated-lack-of-respect-england-luka-modric

Alan Medic Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Well I'm convinced you're wrong fishbiscuits.

> natty has been around the forum quite a while and

> has displayed human traits a bot couldn't

> replicate.

natty is quite clearly a dating site bot that has malfunctioned when asked ''Did you score last night?''...

edcam Wrote:

> However I?m pretty relieved that rampant and

> misplaced nationalism won?t be unleashed by

> greater success. Because that undoubtedly would

> have happened.

Nah. English self-loathing is almost as unattractive as 'rampant nationalism'. If we had won, we could have rightly felt proud of the team and would have celebrated accordingly. That's it.

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> edcam Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > However I?m pretty relieved that rampant and

> > misplaced nationalism won?t be unleashed by

> > greater success. Because that undoubtedly would

> > have happened.

>

> Nah. English self-loathing is almost as

> unattractive as 'rampant nationalism'. If we had

> won, we could have rightly felt proud of the team

> and would have celebrated accordingly. That's it.

No anger about England's exit that I saw and in the past there would have been a fall guy (even Beckham played this role once, and had to sneak back into the country in a black beanie hat)

natty01295 Wrote:

> Posted by fishbiscuits Today, 01:28PM

> Wrote ';

> Natty - what changes do you think Southgate needs

> to make ahead of Euro 2020?

>

> -

> I don't know perhaps more training getting fitter

> for the Big game

LOL natty - fitness should not be an issue at this level (that comment is more from a rugby background than football though).

If the coach has to spend time getting the players fit they shouldn't be there.

There are degrees of fitness though, Croatia looked much fitter in the second half despite being an older team and having played more football, including two energy sapping extra times and pens on the bounce. I think it was Gary Neville who said that England's young players may have been expending a lot of energy off the pitch, and haven't learnt how to relax properly between games...

diable rouge Wrote:

> There are degrees of fitness though, Croatia

> looked much fitter in the second half despite

> being an older team and having played more

> football, including two energy sapping extra times

> and pens on the bounce. I think it was Gary

> Neville who said that England's young players may

> have been expending a lot of energy off the pitch,

> and haven't learnt how to relax properly between

> games...

Is there a hint they over trained then ? maybe look at nutrition and that whole wind down thing after the match.