Rainwater harvesting

malumbu

Saw on the news that a water authority in the North was funding some rainwater harvesting - large tanks in the garden and then water pumped into the house to flush to toilet.

Great I thought until I saw the price - ?1000s. Probably save $20 a year on the water meter and 500 years to pay back.

Hmmm.

(currently using bathwater to water the garden plants - OK first thing is not to have baths)

In years to come new houses/apartment blocks will be built with this facility - underground storage and pumps or a means of capillary action for flushing toilets. In times of water shortage and the advent of water meters, this is an excellent solve.

In France we use water sparingly, as it is metered, expensive and traditional.

If I am alone I don?t always flush the toilet which I have en suite.

Downstairs shower room I will use the washing up water to flush the toilet - or if rain is due I have two old buckets I leave outside to fill.

We have French showers - run the water over skin, switch off, soap, shampoo whatever, lather all over, switch water on.

Of course it is essential to set optimum temperature initially.

We have also been known to run outside starkers in a sudden summer downpour and cavort about, this is glorious.

No one can see, and if they could they would be screaming.

Well this post diverged a little.

We take it for granted that we turn on the tap/shower/washing machine and water flows - but do we need potable water to flush away waste?

If you have a garden collect rainwater from the downpipe from the roof or attach guttering and down pipe to greenhouse/shed/summerhouse for water butts. I have two collecting from my summerhouse and they collect water well ... if it rains, of course. There are some very capacious water butts now, some of which are designed to hold a lot, but not take up too much room. Depends on your space and purse.

In deed I would have put the source down if I could find it. Think it was on the BBC news but a quick Google search couldn't find it. Tried Channel 4 news too. Anyway I did see it honest, hence my particular interest.

Problem is with any harvesting I have to pump the water up hill if either to the toilet or to water the garden. Not sure how easy it is to rig something up.

We're very conscious of wasting water. While we don't do enough we do use dishwater or bathwater for the plants and to fill buckets for the loo; turn water on off when cleaning teeth and showering rather than leaving it running and quick washes in washing macine. Any other tips would be gladly received.

Turn use water when cleaning your teeth, fluoride in the paste will have greater benefits too.

Don't run the cold tap waiting for it to get cool. Use that water and have it in the fridge. As long as you haven't got any lead piping which you should run for a while first thing in the morning. Well that was the view 30 years ago.