Thone bloody yellow bikes

peckman

Yes, I've seen them dumped everywhere over the past few months and can't understand the concept (somebody please let us know). I think it's something about the power running out and they are then just left where they stop?

Seen several on the Denmark Hill Estate and in the local parks. Just yesterday there was one just left on a crossing on Red Post Hill!

Passiflora Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes, I've seen them dumped everywhere over the

> past few months and can't understand the concept

> (somebody please let us know). I think it's

> something about the power running out and they are

> then just left where they stop?

>

> Seen several on the Denmark Hill Estate and in the

> local parks. Just yesterday there was one just

> left on a crossing on Red Post Hill!

They're not electric - you can release the lock on the backwheel via a smartphone app if you've signed up, then they're 50p per half hour, when you've finished just leave it where you stop, theoretically for the next user to pick up. Personally I find them a bloody nuisance, either they get left in bike racks, where there often isn't room for all the "normal" bikes that need it, or they're left in the street posing a nuisance and a hazard for all concerned. In Wandsworth the council seized hundreds of the bikes saying they were causing an obstruction, hoping that might be a more common action across London. When cyclists are faced just about everywhere in London with hostile signs saying that we'll have our bikes removed if we chain them to railings, the idea of people just being able to leave a rental bike in the middle of the pavement seems absurd.

There's one of those bikes chained up outside our house. The Ofo bike people say they're not supposed to be left chained up and they'll come and retrieve it. It's been there for about five weeks, so I've given them one last warning to pick it up or I'll report them to the council for dumping it.

The chavs have figured out it's easier to break the lock and disable the tracking device on the yellow bikes than it is on the [nicer looking] orange ones, so any locked up can be reported to the Police and related company. It's less common to see stolen Boris bikes nowadays as these hire bikes are a lot lighter and less likely to be noticed by the Police out of hire areas. Sad to see these schemes being abused, would be nice if bikes could be fitted with shock devices to execute theives on the spot.

Bring it on. Saw plenty yesterday when on the ride in London. Anything that further encourages cycling is great. If this business model fails then so be it. Not sure why some of you want to denigrate whole sectors of the population (apart from those who voted Brexit of course, has to be exceptions) with the use of words such as chavs. What are you doing to solve these great divides (hide in your gated communities). Sorry digressed there.

Parking irresponsibly far greater a social evil.

Love and peace.

As you know, M, I'm a great advocate of cycling and by no means a car fan. I don't think the way to get the non-cycling public on our side is to encourage a scheme whereby the streets get littered with bikes irresponsibly dumped wherever the whim of the user takes them.

Scroll down to picture 7.

For those who hate links without a description it is from 100 Uses for a Dead Cat (this counted for humour in the 1980s). I was looking for a large bottom but couldn't find one.

https://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/b/bike_racks.asp

There were some brilliant bikes painted, decorated and hung in various places when I saw Stage 6 of the Tour. Can't find any nice photos. But if you have time on your hands (Rendel?!) then perhaps this could be a nice project with dumped/damaged yellow bikes.

It would be nice if Boris bikes could come to SE London. They cover almost all of Zones 1, 2 and in some cases zone 3, except for SE. Like the tube, cycle superhighways etc. Its' crzy i know, but perhaps we could get some public transport in line with the rest of the Capital.

JohnL Wrote:

> Someone on twitter did say if the "yellow bike"

> app shows the bike close to the river - don't

> bother as it will be in the river.

Funny you should say that, we rode a 92-mile route round the towpath to Windsor today, saw over a dozen of them basically dumped, some with bits removed, and yes, two of them in the river. It's a shame that we live in a society where this will happen, but until something changes these bikes are just going to be a PITA.

Boris bike's were Ken's legacy. Boris will also leave one like it or not. For whatever reason Londoners voted him in twice - not just that Ken made it too easy. More challenging than the safe seat of Uxbridge. We are at least not in the American system where the newbie overturns everything that the predecessor put in place.

edcam Wrote:

> Please stop calling them Boris bikes. I'd rather

> not be reminded of that dangerous oaf.

Ooooh- if he is dangerous he MUST be doing something right! (I voted for him twice btw)