How to tackle a wasp nest?

RMH

A huge crew of ED wasps have built their home for the summer outside our back door. We have a one year old and worried about him getting stung. I imagine this is a job for the professionals- Can anyone recommend a local wasp nest exterminator?

Has anybody really brave tackled a wasp nest themselves?

Any advice / recommendations / experiences /much appreciated

Many thanks!

I successfully tackled a wasp nest with a fumigating thing I bought from Dulwich DIY.

However it was in my loft, which was somewhat different. Don't know how (or if) it would work outside.

Have you tried googling?

Googling for how to do it yourself, I mean!

You should NEVER attempt to tackle a Wasps Nest yourself.

In social bees and wasps, pheromones act as an alarm.

They are secreted by some of the group when they think they are in danger, like if the nest is disturbed or one of them is killed.

The rest of the wasps react to the pheromones by swarming out of the nest and attacking the intruder.

Wasps can also sting you multiple times. Some people are allergic to Wasp stings.

Get in the professionals.

DulwichFox

I've done it myself by spraying hot water, wearing clothes with elastic bands etc., and a mask. Wasn't pleasant. Some people knock the nest off and catch it in a bag/tub filled with water. Wasps can be dangerous though and I wouldn't want my kid around if you're trying on your own. Best to get a pro in and they'll probably treat the nest rather than massively tampering with it like a clown.

Def don't try it on your own get a price though. When I called a company, years ago (can't remember the name) the guy was there 20 mins or so. when I asked how much, he said "?50". Blimey, I said, I need to change professions. "OK" he said "we'll call it ?30".

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and recommendations.

I took the advice of 'Chick' and 'Burbage' and contacted Southwark council pest control. They came swiftly and sorted out the problem for ?66.36. It was a five minute job, but it seems to have done the trick. We have our garden back and can open our windows again, hurrah!

Thanks 'Take Note', 'Dulwich Fox', Sue and 'SpringTime' for sharing your experiences. I think calling in the professionals was the right thing to do in this case.