Men in shorts

malumbu

Yet another meaty thread ladies and gets.

Is it appropriate for blokes to wear shorts in the office? They look so fetching on the posties, DHL delivery drivers and Thames Clipper clippies.

And if so what style - colonial with turn ups, long socks and sandals, shirts tucked in?

And colours - does salmon pink really fit in with the office?

Finally the length, I thought tailored, with belt and well above the knee. Yet at a weekend festival most gents seemed to be in longer, baggy cargo pants, I thought were so mid 10s (fortunately not the horrid 3/4 length from the 00s).

I'll leave swimwear for another thread.

I saw Police wearing shorts last week in a pub in Waterloo.

So if they do we all can :) About an inch above the knee, Chino style, short socks but NOT shiny black shoes - need something mid way between black trainers and shoes ... IMHO

Depends where you work I guess. A tucked-in shirt a defo no-no, so has to be a tailored hem otherwise you look like a scruffy git. No socks, even short ones look wrong. Length just above the knee, turn-ups look smarter. Tricky thing to get right is the shoes, need to be a cross between formal and casual, Camper do some nice hybrids, but not for everyone...https://www.camper.com/en_GB/men/shoes/chasis/camper-chasis-K100282-002

malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yet another meaty thread ladies and gets.

Aaah, you're from Liverpool.

Personally shorts are fine out of doors but as little bare flesh on display as possible once inside please- no matter how decorative and fragrant the owner believes it to be. And no one wants to hear or see a naked thigh unsticking itself from an office chair.

i wear what I want to work. I could probably be smarter, but I always look nice. One of the directors is always casual (jeans) but the guys rock up in suits every day. I think they are actually a bit scared of wearing shorts and would need an office-wide buy in before they would.

I might actually do something about it - as I've just realised they might need (and appreciate) some help in this very sensitive matter.

Footwear has come up in conversation. You can't wear trainers to work, so - what works with shorts in a more formal but edgy environment?

I like men in smart shorts with a tailored shirt or perhaps a non-slogan polo shirt. It's normal hot weather smart-casual attire in some European countries and a lot of Americans seem to do it. Bet Obama looks good in smart shorts. Perhaps not so good on a stockier figure (same as women).

Footwear for work would be plain loafers or deck shoes, no sock. If not for work, maybe an espadrille or sandal. Definitely not trainers or a formal shoe like a brogue.

ETA: after that I looked at pics online - hilarious! The fashion ones are mostly too short; nicer just above the knee or on the knee for a stockier build. Don't fall for the short blazer with tennis shoes look unless you aspire to be on Towie or A N Other wannabe celeb thing.