How much do you pay for cleaning?

wee quinnie

My lodger is not keeping the bathroom as clean as I want, so I am looking to get a cleaner, however I doubt that I can get a cleaner in for an hour per week. SO...I am looking at cleaning the bathroom myself, and charging for cleaning on top of rent. So was wondering what people pay?

I have asked him to clean it on numerous occasions. He is a very nice chap, and seems to have the best of intentions, but it is just not clean enough. Also, in fairness to me, the rent i currently charge is well below the market rate.

He has been living here 18 months and i am fed up with constantly reminding him. I am not his mum!!

I would rather he just cleaned it himself rather than me ending up cleaning it for 10 to 14 quid.

People have different standards of cleanliness.

Was he cleaner when he first moved in? or have you started to be more fussy? If it's the former, you need to remind him that there is an expectation that the rooms are kept clean and tidy - and what that looks like. If it's the latter then he may not have changed his behaviour at all so might not understand your point.

If you get on well, tell him what's bothering you - after 18 months it would be nice if you were able to discuss it.

Do you share a bathroom?

Angelina Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> People have different standards of cleanliness.

>

> Was he cleaner when he first moved in? or have you

> started to be more fussy? If it's the former, you

> need to remind him that there is an expectation

> that the rooms are kept clean and tidy - and what

> that looks like. If it's the latter then he may

> not have changed his behaviour at all so might not

> understand your point.

>

> If you get on well, tell him what's bothering you

> - after 18 months it would be nice if you were

> able to discuss it.

>

> Do you share a bathroom?

He uses the main bathroom in the house, and me and OH use our en suite. If i have visitors i direct them to the main bathroom.

I have told him from the outset what i expect and have had to nudge him fairly constantly in the last 18 months. At one point he did say that hd would clean the loo daily UNPROMPTED. I am just sick of having to constantly ask him to clean it.

Who cleans the loo daily? Are you sure you don't have high expectations?

Perhaps you need to re-base your relationship - be very clear about what you want. Hopefully you can reach some agreement.

Our house gets dirty quite quickly so cleaning it is a bit like painting the Fourth Bridge.

I started out with the agreement that I clean everywhere apart from lodger's room, and his kitchen mess. In fact, he's cleaner than myself in the kitchen. This was because I wanted to keep to my own standards of cleanliness.

Sounds like too much of a pain and I'd look for a new (cleaner) lodger but make it very specific what standard you expect from the next one.