Lost terrapin on the pavement needs a home NOW

malumbu

on the pavement in the Horniman area, either lost of dumped. Please take home. RSPCA do not come out as they can survive in the wild. Earlier social local social network didn't find an owner. Don't give me advice, just take it (PM me for location).

There is at least one in the lake at Peckham Rye Park.

They are quite often to be seen in lakes and ponds. Presumably their owners dump them when they grow too big, or they get sick of them.

I suggest you (or somebody) find it some water.

I don't have time or I would come and do it.

ETA: It is hardly going to stay in the same location, is it.

There is a pond at the Horniman where they do pond dipping with kids. It has probably come from there.

You could try phoning the Horniman, but it won't last long on the South Circular if you have just left it there :(

This will be of no practical help whatsoever but the Grateful Dead made a lovely album in 1977 called "Terrapin Station".

So possibly Malumbu's new friend had tried to get on the train but found the state of rail services in ED so pitiful that it decided it was simply quicker to walk to its destination.

Keefe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This will be of no practical help whatsoever but

> the Grateful Dead made a lovely album in 1977

> called "Terrapin Station".

>

> So possibly Malumbu's new friend had tried to get

> on the train but found the state of rail services

> in ED so pitiful that it decided it was simply

> quicker to walk to its destination.

No help, but very funny! 😁😂🐢

Terrapin or tortoise?

I thought terrapins stayed in the water apart from coming out to bask next to the pond.

If it is a terrapin then defo take to a pond if not I can collect as have alot of experience and could offer it a loving home.

Please pick it up and put it in your garden if it is still around as harm will come to it and then I will collect asap.

I'm rather shocked that everyone thinks it's o.k. to put a terrapin in a pond. It most certainly is not. It's at least irresponsible and probably illegal to release a terrapin into the wild by dumping it in a pond. They are an exotic invasive species which eat our own native wildlife. Depending on the species of terrapin, they may eat ducklings and the young of other waterbirds, such as moorhens. Unwanted terrapins are a problem. The answer is to find someone who will take it and care for it in a sanctuary or as a pet. So if you rescue one which has been dumped in the wild, which is a kind thing to do, you are giving yourself a big problem. There is information and advice on the internet, such as from the RSPCA on how to keep a terrapin as a pet (quite a lot of work and equipment) and other websites which can help with advertising for a home or finding a sanctuary.

It's delightful to watch the moorhen parents looking after their baby in the pond in Peckham Rye Park. Please do not jeopardise our wildlife by putting any predatory terrapin in that pond, the pond by Dulwich College or any other of our ponds.

Gone to good home thanks. Yes there are lots of issues about unwanted pets going wild, and the impact on native wildlife. But I wasn't going to knock him on the head (it is a him) and he isn't a rat with a furry tail or a rat with feathers or even a rat. RSPCA weren't interested but do have an advice sheet including - Terrapin ownership should not be undertaken on a whim. They require lots of care and equipment to keep them healthy for life.

And remember, a dog isn't just for Christmas. You can have it cold on Boxing Day, curry it the next....

Keefe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This will be of no practical help whatsoever but

> the Grateful Dead made a lovely album in 1977

> called "Terrapin Station".

>

> So possibly Malumbu's new friend had tried to get

> on the train but found the state of rail services

> in ED so pitiful that it decided it was simply

> quicker to walk to its destination.

I remember this LP, nearly wore it out - Estimated Prophet !!