Are all dentists a rip-off ?

ed_pete

I've not been to the dentist for about 5 years so it was with some trepidation that I booked a checkup at a local dentist surgery (that I won't name). I was happily given the all clear but recommended to visit the hygienist to remove the tartar. I went with this and paid the ?21.60 for the Level 1 treatment. I've booked into the hygienist (which will cost another ?40-50, not NHS) but strictly, the dentist should have included a scale and polish in the Level 1 and I shouldn't have to pay any more.

One of the reasons I stopped going to the dentist was because a while back another local dentist used to charge me for the Level 2 treatment when all I had was a checkup and scale and polish. When I queried this with the receptionist afterwards they said it was a much more comprehensive de-scaling that was covered by the Level 1 and hence the Level 2 charge.

It just feels like they're ripping you off, perhaps because in London they NHS Level 1 charge of ?21.60 doesn't provide enough profit.

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/dental-health/how-much-will-i-pay-for-nhs-dental-treatment/

Maybe this bit - worth checking

"Many dental hygienists now work under direct access, where you can request to see the hygienist directly for a scale or polish. Hygienists can only provide this open access on a private basis, and you should check the cost of the treatment before booking an appointment."

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-services/dentists/whats-available-on-the-nhs/

What a sweeping statement. Perhaps rephrase "are all professionals a rip off?". Out of interest what profession are you and do you exploit customers through lack of knowledge, distress purchases and a non-competitive marketplace?

Anyway thanks, the forum has got a bit dull recently

I swear by Dr Bummi at http://dulwichdentalcare.uk/ she's the best dentist I've ever seen, she's taken care of me for ages now and always been fantastic!

I hear you about the NHS and hygienist treatments, it's all a bit of a mess and feel that at least some of the costs should be covered by the govt, but in times when even a bunch of operations are due to no longer be available so there's not much hope for dental cleaning under the NHS unless someone strikes oil in Catford or something.

Ah my good chap or chapess, do refrain from using such alarmist/hostile titles to your thread. Our good dentist friends spend five years plus training, get a pretty rum deal from the NHS which is why so many do private as well, or it feels like you are in and out in five minutes when getting your NHS session.

Hopefully they gave you some good advice about looking after your teeth, flossing, not rinsing after cleaning to allow the flouride to do its part. If you want a conspiracy theory then shame on progressive government's for not making fluoridation compulsory. Essentially half the country have good teeth and half bad due to this.

You'll find it is ?20 and the rest to get a plumber out to change a 50p washer, and an electrician the same for a 10p fuse.

Good to have some positive recommendations. Margaret at Bolney Court in Sydenham is excellent and has saved some of my teeth (in my jaw not a personal collection) that others would have extracted. It's worth getting a good personal relationship with a dentist.

holloway Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 'Dulwich Dental Clinic' for me. These guys are

> fantastic, Dr. Tremaine in particular. I had a

> check up, clean & polish and a filling for ?60.

Seconded. I went there just over a year ago after a recommendation on the forum and it's all good (once you get past the receptionists who can be a bit chilly in my experience). Once he did a clean while the anaesthetic was taking effect.

I don't see it as extraordinary as I look after my teeth.

My point was that the dentist offers to treat people as NHS patients and then doesn't provide the service that they should and recommends private hygienist treatment.

If it hadn't been my first time for while then I would have taken isssue with the dentist and asked why I wasn't receiving the clean from them.