Carpet Moths

Pugwash

After many years, we are decorating our bedroom. The carpet is gradually being taken up as we have had carpet moths infestation. Need to get room (including built in wardrobes) sprayed before redecorating and getting a new carpet.

Undecided as to whether to get spray/treatment via Amazon for around ?30 or whether to get a firm in. Has anyone got advice as to either products to use, ease of use or reliable firms. We have cats so do not want to affect them with chemicals.

I recently (last spring) did this to a large 4-bed carpeted house, before the summer heat encouraged the next generation to hatch.

I pulled-up all carpets bit by bit, using a Stanley knife to slice baggable strips which immediately went into bin liners with the underlay.

Once a room / the stairs were decarpeted I hoovered the floorboard floors, taking care to use the thinner fitting to get under skirting, between floorboards (especially where they cross the underlying joists) and any other corners and crannies.

Then I bleach-cleaned the wooden floors and skirting lower edges.

Then I sprayed plenty moth spray - I just bought loads on amazon, the same type sold in Dulwich DIY.

The results (for me) have been phenomenal.

I see one moth every 4 weeks or so, where I used to have a moth convention, literally dozens, in (say) my lounge every single day during summer.

There?s always a moth egg that?ll find a way to survive but you at least have broken the back of the problem and a regular annual thorough spring clean should take care of survivors / arriving moths from next door.

It worked so well that I never actually used the ?moth bomb? kit I?d also bought.

You have to be prepared to turn the house upside down and inspect every inch and item of edible (to moths) property in my experience.

We had it so bad I actually feared for the fur on the pets !

They're a right pain! We had the carpets steamed and spray applied (same one others have mentioned - sold in Dulwich DIY but bigger bottles on Amazon) before we moved in as thers were several patches of eaten carpet found. It seems to have massively reduced the population, though we do still see a few every day on walls. aapparently the males hang out on walls while females lay eggs on the ground. We keep spraying to attempt to eliminate and we've scattered lavender sachets everywhere to try and keep them away from clothes etc. I think the steam and spray combination has dealt with the worst but I still feel like I'm in a daily battle with the blighters though. At least they are fairly passive and just sit there while you kill them...

Had a similar problem - very motheaten carpets. I pulled them up sprayed all round skirting boards. Put new carpets down and let off these smoke ?bombs? in every room and the problem was sorted. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B011UZ8F6O?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf. Good luck!

Edited to add - it?s not true to say I?ve never seen a moth since. Two years later I did another moth ?bomb? in the bedrooms just in case. I also keep moth hanging stickies in the wardrobes just to keep track - and I get the odd catch. The carpets are looking good two years? on but I?m ever vigilant. I sometimes spray in wardrobes just in case

I get all my mother prevention from mothprevention.com

I would wait for the end of season October then good clean and smoke bombs and spray

I use the bombs after carpet cleaning end of season and spray throughout season

Had terrible trouble a few years ago but fine now and I use the sticky things and wardrobe hanging moth prevention

I am having new carpets throughout next year my carpet cleaner said there are great non wool ones now and there are

So going for the high-end ones

Good luck

Gaynor

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...