Driving to the M1 from East Dulwich

intexasatthe moment

Yes you can..We do it.

go round Marble arch and do a left into Edgeware road then its a straight run.

The route panner is probably taking you via Gloucester Place then doing a left onto Marylebone road which seems a bit illogical to me as Marylebone road is always snarled up on the approach to the A40 and flyover.

I know this area well having lived in W2 and W10 for most my life, and driven all around there for at least 20years

On a weekend Lambeth Bridge, Horseferry Road, Buck Pal (shut on a Sunday), then after Marble Arch right at Oxford Street and left, eventually onto Lisson Grove, Abbey Road and up through West Hampstead, joining the Finchley Road. Did that route for years, but on the return the Finchley Road seemed to be better and would head right after Swiss Cottage, to get back onto Lisson Grove.

On the odd occasion driving during congestion charge simply followed the main drag and Edgeware Road (bit too many lights)as per Rendel. Even with CC in the week Lambeth Bridge a nightmare and for some reason has got much worse.

You could also try the left field route of Tower Bridge Angel A1, joining at junction 2, avoiding this when Arsenal are at home and risking chaos at Old Street.

Glad i no longer have to regularly do the M1.

Most extreme was when I was in Yorkshire once and rightly advised to come back via Cambridge, M11 and Blackwall tunnel.

I've heard of some who go South and via a half loop on the M25.

Finally for some reason I also have done M1 to A40 on the North Circ but can't remember why I did this route. I imagine Google on the day will give the ideal route.

malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

I imagine Google on the day will give

> the ideal route.

That's what I would do. You can set it to avoid routes where the congestion charge would kick in.

On the other hand, a familiar route may be less stressful even if the way Google maps took you might be quicker depending on traffic conditions at the time you were travelling.