Gas Works down Rye Lane for 60 weeks from January 2019

PeckhamRose

Hi all

Since about 2011 there have been 81 gas leaks down Rye Lane. Southwark had typically resisted doing anything about it until finally they were persuaded that the original gas mains from about a hundred years ago (I am sure that's what the gas rep said) should be completely replaced. The whole road will be blocked and the pipe will be replaced in sections at a time. Only pedestrians will be able to use the pavements, and anyone trying to cycle down the pavements, will be stopped by police specially when they make their presence felt at the beginning. The traffic will be diverted to the east of Rye Lane. The gas rep said he himself had used the alternative routes on his bicycle to the west of Rye Lane, and it added about 60 seconds to the time of what it would take just going straight down Rye Lane. Busses will be diverted to the east route, and won't be able to deposit people right outside the Peckham Rye Station, and this will not be good for those who maybe can't walk so easily. I am just imparting information as I remember it from the meeting. It's a big project, and two big gas pipes are to be replaced, and it will be done in sections, as I said, but for 60 weeks Rye Lane shall be closed to traffic. Eileen Conn have I missed/misheard anything?

Thanks for reporting this PR - I had seen mention of the closure but was hoping the time scale quoted was an error !

This is going to effect so many people who catch the train and shop (and have to visit the Highshore Rd sorting office ) .

Getting off the bus in Copeland Rd and walking through to Rye Lane adds quite a distance .And I wonder where the stop to catch the south bound bus back to ED will be ?

I'm sure the pipes are at least 100 years old .I know I'll be feeling the same carting shopping back without the direct bus service I've enjoyed for so long .

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

I saw big signs warning folks of this closure, appearing now on approaching streets.

At the bus stop someone was overheard by me to say, "Well that's ridiculous. Maybe they made a mistake on the sign! They can't close this road for a whole year!"

They can, they will, and they have to.

SGN's website says they will be closing the road in sections: "We'll be working in Rye Lane in six phases from Hanover Park towards Sternhall Lane. Each phase will last between approximately six and nine weeks and we'll need to temporarily close a section of Rye Lane to through traffic around our work area." It certainly doesn't look as though the whole road will be closed for the whole year. Their leaflet might help: https://www.sgn.co.uk/uploadedFiles/Marketing/Pages/Publications/Docs-Roadworks-Leaflets/SGN%20Customer%20Leaflet%20Rye%20Lane%20Peckham%20SE15%20181015.pdf

I can see Bournemouth Road being used to keep buses running either North or South of the lane as the works move about. They might have to temporarily adapt the junction and use lights but it is definitely doable. And there are plenty of alternatives for cyclists to avoid the section of roadworks and stay mostly on the lane, particularly at the South end. The real problem might be for deliveries and rubbish collection along the stretches of the actual works, but I am sure there are plans for dealing with this too. And it is not a through road for cars anyway.

I have no crystal ball, but it's highly likely this will cause havoc for everyone who uses Rye Lane. The information given to us about buses, is that they will be diverted along the A2215, ie from the Peckham end, instead of turning into Hannover Park, they will go along Clayton, Consort and Heaton Road and visa versa. This is the same diversion used when there have been previous short-term closures of Rye Lane. Allow extra time for all bus journeys and to get to the train station, and please support the businesses along Rye Lane.

Renata

Yes Renata, I feel sorry for those unable to walk any distance to the station. From the South some people could get the 484 to Denmark Hill instead. The pavements shall be open for people (NOT cyclists!) but knowing how busy, with the many buggies and double width buggies, people in wheelchairs and people trying to rush, it won't be any kind of fun. As previously mentioned the whole of the road shall not be blocked off; it will be blocked off in sections. That is to say it will always be blocked for the year, but not all of the road shall be totally blocked. I did ask the leader of the project if other utilities companies had been alerted so they could take advantage of the works so they could take advantage of the opportunity to improve their own utilities. And he said he had told everyone. BT TAKE NOTE!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• you know when you take your pro-cash stance too far? yeah....
    • Easter Bunny Bonus Week 29 fixtures...   Saturday 30th March Newcastle United v West Ham United AFC Bournemouth v Everton Chelsea v Burnley Nottingham Forest v Crystal Palace Sheffield United v Fulham Tottenham Hotspur v Luton Town Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Brentford v Manchester United   Sunday 31st March Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion Manchester City v Arsenal   Tuesday 2nd April Newcastle United v Everton Nottingham Forest v Fulham AFC Bournemouth v Crystal Palace Burnley v Wolverhampton Wanderers West Ham United v Tottenham Hotspur   Wednesday 3rd April Arsenal v Luton Town Brentford v Brighton & Hove Albion Manchester City v Aston Villa   Thursday 4th April Liverpool v Sheffield United Chelsea v Manchester United
    • A repetitive tried and tested cycle that seems to be slowing down in London thankfully. Brixton was the start. Councils consciously and purposely let an area decline until that area is next on the list for social and ethnic cleansing and ultimately gentrification. In come the first wave of arty/ creatives to squat and house share. A few coffee shops and cool but inexpensive cafe/ bars and art spaces open up. The crackheads, dealers and other assorted criminals who were once left to operate openly and brazenly to sell, shop lift, mug, beg, purchase,  publicly consume on decent folks doorsteps, stairwells,in bin sheds and without fear of the law begin to be targeted, rounded up and moved on. A few more jaunty and sustainable coffee shops/ bars appear . The Guardian and other facilitators in the media jump on the bandwagon, first claims of vibrancy are rolled out. Next step a few cool retro clothing shops pop up selling ' reclaimed Levi's for more than they originally cost and ten times the price of what the recently departed charity shop charged. Foxtons open a branch and the arty types and first wavers/ drivers have there first moan about there initially paltry rents going up. The guardian do a generic lets move to Brixton, Dalston, Hackney, Deptford, Walthamstow type double pager. Interview a graphic designer or two who have just bought a former crack den on the manor for next to peanuts. They will later bemoan the next wave who have more money than them. Cool, edgy and vibrant are now the buzzword bingo must use lingo. Few more coffee shops ( how original ) Pop up everything,. Organic and sour dough move in. The night time economy starts to thrive, more cool bars and eateries open. More squats and the last crack house that was once one of many are cleared out. Second wave is around the corner.   All of a sudden there's a visible police presence again and the streets are safe for fun seekers with plenty of disposable cash to chuck about on a dose of vibrancy with added coolness. By this stage even the locally brewed beer is organic. There's queues outside the newly arrived organic, sourdough, artisan and sustainable bakers. Instagram has Brixton trending. The greasy spoon of thirty year has gone cause the lease is up and the landlord has hiked the rents up by 60/70%. Followed by small family run independents that served the community  for decades and more.  The local characters, activists, eccentrics are getting less and less. There's a new show in town for a week or two and until the next brand arrives. Brewdog move in. Former job centres are converted into bars but peak edginess means it's still called the job centre. Followed by a couple more chain eateries. The resident DJ'S and music venues are replaced by another generic brand boasting guest chefs. The Guardian lifestyle section is now on it's fifth or sixth orgasm. Turn a few pages and hypocrisy is rampant with articles on the evils of gentrification, foxtons, capitalism, social cleansing and unaffordable housing. The middle classes continue to arrive in there droves to buy into the vibrancy and multiculturalism supposedly on offer. There isn't much multiculturalism going on at the packed latest place to eat, drink and fart. The multiculturalism on show comes in the form of bar staff, doorman and cheap as chips uber drivers and delivery workers. Rice and peas, jerk everything, red stripe at six quid a can from some hipster haunt that is currently flavour of the month and the place to be seen. The first wavers are now blaming the latest hedge funded brand that's pulled into town for driving gentrification and there soon to be hastened departure to be first wavers again somewhere else. Less cool but up and coming here we come. Covid has certainly helped/ been a factor in slowing down the process of gentrification. I also think it may be the driver for almost putting a stop to it. Remote working, less need to move to London to be near an office, less disposable cash, sky high rents, worthless degrees that relied on that disposable cash , different priorities, knife and gang crime and a large dose of much needed realism has put a huge spanner in the works for the shitty process and cycle that is/ was the gentrification and social cleansing of working class London. Manchester and Liverpool is next on the list for the planners. Thankfully.
    • Can you just queue up to withdraw cash or are other transactions like stamp purchasing required?  Do M&S do cash back?
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In