What's under the concrete block in my garden?

malumbu

Coming from my patio is a solid block of concrete say 25 x 25 cm and around 10 deep. I assumed it must be some sort of footing, but it is very difficult to break up. Any views why else it may be there? Perhaps this is where Mandy and Beth Jordache buried Trevor. Beth Jordache.....

It could be part of a bomb shelter, but I thought that was in a different place. I'm concerned that it may be there for a good reason ie some sort of mains services under it. Any views? The patio seems to be on a decent base.

The house is 1936 and was characterised by render that is very very hard - a lot of sharp sand in the mix, and the block is a bugger blunting masonry drill bits and cold chisels make little impact. I can grass over this but I've got an OCD thing about leaving redundant things in the house and garden.

wonder if it could be a mini lintel protecting something underneath.

if you know where your drainage runs you may be able to exclude the concrete slab from being related to that.

can you get to the side of it and trying levering it up with a pitchfork / iron bar ? 25x25x10cm shouldn't be too heavy to at least budge.

It actually goes into the foundations of the patio, which made me think the patio is on the former bomb shelter. I haven't managed to 'isolate' the block hence lever it up. I could do some test bores around it to see if there is anything deep underneath.

It is in the middle of the garden well away from where I would expect any drains or mains supplies.

It doesn't appear to be prefabricated so probably not a lintel

Alternatively it could be an alien spaceship. Or a native American burial chamber. Or Quatermass and the pit. I'll have the movie rights Mr Spielberg.

Lynne Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We found a concrete block when we first dug our

> garden. It had R I P scratched into the concrete,

> which was interesting. But there didn't appear to

> be anything underneath..........

Sounds like a dead pet... almost certainly long decomposed!

malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Maybe a cat cemetery....

>

> Who fancies finding out this weekend, come with a

> pick and a sledgehammer.

Even by your "unusual" standard messaging this is strange.