Lister Clinic

cella

Had a depressing experience at the Lister Clinic in Peckham this week. I'd never been there and was referred by the Gardens Surgery who now don't handle smaller nurse treatments. I had an appointment on Sunday which I was impressed by and when I arrived it was completely empty and silent which was slightly unnerving. The chippy receptionist initially denied that these treatments were carried out there, even though I'd been referred, and when I stood my ground eventually let me in to see a doctor who provided a prescription and told me to book a further appointment with the receptionist. The receptionist insisted that the treatments weren't provided so I suggested that she consult the doctor who presumably instructed her differently and a reluctant appointment was made. When I returned on Thursday what a difference - the place was packed with disorderly queues, people arguing with each other and with the staff, nobody advising people where to go. I arrived 10 minutes early and while queuing it was only because I overheard someone else that I then had to forfeit my place to log in electronically elsewhere. When I did this it pinged up that there was no known appointment so I had to queue again in an increasingly agitated line only to be told at the desk that referrals was at another desk! This was occupied by the same sullen assistant on the previous Sunday who told me to go to a room. When I asked which one she said "can't you remember where you went on Sunday". There was also another completely empty reception desk though goodness knows what that was for. The doctor was helpful and I got the treatment but some of the same arguments were still going when I left. It just felt like nothing was joined up and nobody was managing the building and the systems with some staff doing nothing and others dealing with a war zone. Very sad.

Having had to visit the extended primary care service at Lister every 2/3 days over the past 2 weeks as I have a leg wound which is not healing and am due to attend another 4 times in the next 10 days or so. Have not had the above experiences - I am due to go Saturday first time at a weekend, so will see if there is a difference.

I've been with the Hurley practice there for about 8 years. It's always been busy but no worse than anywhere else I've been with previously. Anyway I had a letter a few weeks ago saying the NHS has retendered the GP contract there and effectively changed the management. So, maybe your experience hints that the staff have responded badly to the change? Fingers crossed I'll not have to see for myself anytime soon!

Guess there's busy and not managed? Why the long queues I wonder and lack of signage - surely people don't just walk in from the street without an appointment? All the arguments as well with people querying letters and taking huge lengths of time at the reception desk. Maybe I've got it wrong and the Clinic does other stuff but what would that be? On the Sunday I thought it was very odd that anyone could walk in with one lone female assistant sitting in a cavernous room with no apparent security. You could just walk through to the doctors room too. Maybe I'll let the Surgery know as well.