LanaJade

GREECE

Please be careful when buying from a LanaJade

I purchased a dining table set for ?80. A present from my daughter for Christmas, she only works part-time so it wasn't easy for her to buy. I was told only that a couple of the chairs were a bit flimsy due to the screws that had come out of the bottom of the chair base and once screws were added they would be fine, also a couple of un-noticeable scratches on the table.

When I went to pick up with a kind neighbour from my area it was late evening and I had a tired child with me.

I didn't check the items because I had faith in what they told me and the lighting in the room was quite dim. I have been with this website for almost 10 years and never had a problem.

Unfortunately once I got home and put my little one to bed, I then checked the chairs and table properly, and am quite sad to say that the framework of the chairs are extremely un-sturdy. One has paint on it, another has a couple of small tears on it, one of them cannot be sat on, none of this was mentioned. The table has 2 white scratches on it because the undercoat of the table has come off from that point. I have called and texted and watsapped several times since Wednesday evening with no response.

If you are going to be rude then DO NOT comment on this page please as my daughter is particularly upset by this and actually so am I.

Thanks for listening and again beware

I read this and immediately thought how similar it sounded to how people manage to flog totally knackered motorbikes on eBay. Accentuate the positive, gloss over the nasty little secret. A lot of bike owners have been there, myself included, to the extent that you just expect it as standard in that arena.

Then what's this other ad I spotted? For a Suzuki:

LanaJade Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi I purchased this a few weeks ago with an aim of

> getting it on the road, however I have had no had

> the time or cash to take it to a bike shop, it has

> been well looked after by previous owner and has

> lots of paperwork and still has an MOT.

>

> 66k on the clock

>

> The bike is in good condition and shiney.

>

> The problem is that when you put the key in and

> try to start it, it just clicks and wont tuen the

> engine on. I have no idea about bikes and would

> like to sell to someone that will fix and enjoy it

😂

Yeah sure sounds fine 😂😂

Anyway sorry OP it does sound like you've been had and you have my sympathies. Could have been worse though, after all she's hoping someone will pay ?300 to take away a large Suzuki paperweight!

GREECE Wrote:

> peckham_ryu thank you for your reply

> ...

> So sorry for your bad luck also

Sorry just to avoid misunderstanding I haven?t had any kind of experience with the seller. I just saw that brazen motorbike advert and had a good laugh at just how cheeky it is! AFAIK the ?good condition? Suzuki that only has a minor problem of not being usable, is still available for anyone with cash to burn!

As pointed out on the other thread you started about this, the seller warned you of imperfections beforehand, so it really was up to you to check you were happy with the items before handing over your money.

Had they said the items were in perfect condition, that would have been different.

Sorry if that comes over as rude, and I'm sorry if you aren't happy with your purchase, but it isn't as if the faults could not have been seen beforehand.

Thank you Sue

No it's not rude at all. You have made a fair comment without being unkind

Not all faults were mentioned and did not show at the time.

Yes I have held up my hands and said I was silly for not being more thorough but I took them by their word.

I'm quite different

If it had been me I would not have had any problem letting someone return an item if more faults had been noticed than I had seen and stated. It happens.

Anyway thank you again

rendelharris Wrote:

> Really surprised that one forum member is allowed

> to set up a whole thread for the purposes of

> attacking another member over an alleged bad

> transaction. Not a good precedent.

On first read that's a very natural reaction. Especially for Brits, who (as a general stereotype for what that's worth) would rather privately berate themselves for being gulled, than publicly accuse someone of pulling a fast one.

But then, the nice guys will always lose. And the sharp players have no consequences to make them think again. I think if someone sets the facts out openly, facts and letting us decide - actually that's ok. And having now read the seller's other ads, my personal opinion is that it's someone trying to cynically persuade people to pay far more for her stuff than it's worth. There are many people who think that's just how life works - personally I find that way of working morally offensive.

If you don't mind me saying so RH, I also much prefer the dedicated "I object to So-and-So" thread, to the practice of taking other threads off-topic in order to excoriate members about their opinions and character. No matter how worthy of disdain those opinions might be. You may disagree, but that's how many of your own interventions come across, when some threads just descend into fairly personal arguments. GREECE's approach is refreshingly direct by comparison. Just saying it how I see it.

rendelharris Wrote:

> Leaving aside the personal, about which I care

> little and I make no apology for attacking

> antisemitic racists on here, you're making a

> rather huge assumption that one side in this

> dispute is in the right. Why so certain?

Actually both parties share some blame in my view. What I don't like is the view which seems to be the norm, that caveat emptor is the only rule to sell by, and somehow excuses sellers from a moral obligation to set a fair price. I have drawn my own conclusions from reading the seller's other ads, and it does look to me like there's a pattern of overpricing while underplaying issues. Anyone is welcome to so the same and come up with their own view.

As for calling out unsavoury social attitudes, no apology needed but it is at odds with you then objecting to someone's right to call a member out on their behaviour. There's something brave and open about the direct approach: what's stopping you from creating a 'Racist Hall of Shame' thread and just putting all the offenders right on it, shaming them directly? It's obviously important to you, and all I'm saying is this was also clearly important to OP and I really respect that.