new kitchen flooring - ideas please

Jules-and-Boo

I'm a lino fan. Marmoleum in sheet (rather than tile) form. Seems that it's not so popular these days and is being replaced by LVT (which are easier to lay I would think) and also needs an experienced person to fit (which is increasingly hard to find). Still, works for us.

I?ve been happy with laminate. You can get tile effect as well as the ubiquitous wood effect.

There are a lot of non-expert fitters out there - even though not much expertise actually required. I?ve seen a few examples where cutting around doorframes has been lazy and too close to the frame, leading to squeaky doors and lifting floors when the laminate expands. So just make sure you?re happy with the diligence of whoever is fitting it.

I've laid rubber tiles over a plywood sub-base and managed to get IMHO a good finish. Cutting the tiles where required was a doddle with a sharp Stanley/craft knife. You just have to be careful that the surface is very smooth and even. In your case it might be worth pouring a self-levelling compound over the concrete in order to achieve this...

ed_pete Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm a lino fan. Marmoleum in sheet (rather than

> tile) form. Seems that it's not so popular these

> days and is being replaced by LVT (which are

> easier to lay I would think) and also needs an

> experienced person to fit (which is increasingly

> hard to find). Still, works for us.

Marmoleum utterly fantastic had it laid 7 years ago still looks great lordship lane carpets sold us and laid it

it's concrete at the moment, I intend to level it myself and lay something on it. Concrete is too hard and cold (although, yes - it's good polished. I like the idea of rubber or lino - I didn't know very much about marmoleum.

I'm really looking for the easiest things to lay but prepared to put effort in or get someone in if the best solution isn't easy.

I thought of tiles but I imagine they would bother my sense of OCD unless they were perfectly laid.

I do thank you all for your comments - I'm going to have to have a look around and see what I like really. There are so any options.

I think if the floor is smooth, it will be the best start.

And now apparently cork is the big thing....I shudder at that.