Empty houses and squating

malumbu

Something to take you away from Brexit, although perhaps with the economic decline this may well be related.

A place near us has been empty for years. Signs of renovation but never finished. Never any signs of occupation. Fiscal measures such as increased Council Tax for empty properties don't seem to have any effect. Hardly sitting on a goldmine with prices set to plummet and not the best option to launder money.

Ideal squat if anyone needs some rent-free accommodation, plenty of space for artistic pursuits, anarchic activities and generally talking us back to the time of Thatcher.

Ad will be placed shortly on this web site.

Boooooh

https://www.gov.uk/squatting-law

uncleglen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It is illegal to squat residential properties

So is using antisemitic/Islamaphobic hate speech but you don't let that bother you. You've managed, in your standard bright way, to completely miss the point and the joke of malumbu's post.

Actually there was a serious point to my post that someone has been sitting on an empty house for years whilst there are those out there without a roof over their head. When I moved to the SE there was the remnants of an earlier squatting scene. The BBC 'street' programmme on Camberwell Grove looked back on that too, at a time when Camberwell was on a slippery slope - perhaps the squatters even helped on preventing demolition of the Georgian terraces. I was sadly never 'cool' enough to squat. This bloke was far cooler.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/jason-holmes/the-world-according-to-jah-wobble_b_5654351.html

There may be active intervention by Southwark council

regarding this empty house, if not there should be. I

suppose it depends if they are aware how long it has been empty. Southwark council have a record of being one of the boroughs with a high number of empty social housing. I have no idea how they manage the private housing,regarding empty houses, although there are laws in place to intervene.

Malumba, just noticed your op, renovations had begun,

It would be interesting to know if the owners recieved any funding from local council for this. Or how much southwark council fund and follow up in these circumstances.

malumbu Wrote:

> Something to take you away from Brexit, although

> perhaps with the economic decline this may well be

> related.

>

> A place near us has been empty for years. Signs

> of renovation but never finished. Never any signs

> of occupation. Fiscal measures such as increased

> Council Tax for empty properties don't seem to

> have any effect. Hardly sitting on a goldmine

> with prices set to plummet and not the best option

> to launder money.

>

> Ideal squat if anyone needs some rent-free

> accommodation, plenty of space for artistic

> pursuits, anarchic activities and generally

> talking us back to the time of Thatcher.

>

> Ad will be placed shortly on this web site.

>

> Boooooh

>

> https://www.gov.uk/squatting-law

Guardians ?

JohnL Wrote:

> Guardians ?

I think the property guardians thing is a great idea in theory, but I was really surprised to hear how much they charge to live in these places. It's more of an alternative to flat sharing than it is to squatting. And you can be booted out at any point, with only one month's notice.

Somebody has been sitting on a reasonably sized house for a number of years, with a half assed attempt to renovate. It's not to a high standard so doesn't look like a good investment. It's not in an areas where national and international criminals buy property to launder money. It has probably depreciated. They need to spend money heating it or it will become damp. I expect that there is a premium on the Council Tax. Lewisham (this side of the tracks) doesn't have an empty house problem and main focus is making sure social housing is not empty and taking action when private properties are becoming derelict.

But the owner has a right to leave it empty and there is no longer a right to squat. Just strange.