Chloresterol - how to lower without statins?

Minitoots

My partner has just been told he has high cholesterol - he previously managed to lower it a lot by going on a low cholesterol diet + exercising more - any other suggestions? I heard that certain supplements could help but can't remember what they were - any ideas?? He would prefer not to have to resort to statins...

Some people swear by the various Benecol products. I use Flora Proactiv light spread alongside a healthy diet and my doctor was very surprised by the results.

The Mayo Clinic in the US has very good advice on its website (not just for reducing cholestorol) -

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/reduce-cholesterol/art-20045935

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/cholesterol/art-20045192

uncleglen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This guy is good

> https://www.patrickholford.com/advice/how-to-lower

> -your-cholesterol-without-drugs

This guy claims that Vitamin C is more effective for treating HIV than AZT, that autism is caused by MMR vaccines and that he can "cure" autism with vitamins and diet. He has been the subject of much criticism by actual real health and science professionals (his only formal qualification is a degree in experimental psychology), and has been censured numerous times for false advertising for the vitamin products he flogs off the back of his books and website. Take anything he advises with a sackful of salt.

His Wiki page tells you all you need to know about him (even though he employs PR people to delete critical content):https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Holford#HIV

You may find that he will always have it due to genes etc - I went off statins for three months and sadly despite a healthy diet, execise had to go back on statins as my cholestrol level flew up.Having said that, going to look at some of these posts and may have another go as I personally don't like pills..! Good luck though and hope yours is temporary.

Rendalharris, you will find of the 5 statins prescribed

In UK,

Atorvastin (lipitor) makers Pfizer

Fluvastatin (lescol) made by Novartis

Pravastatin (lupostat) made byBristol-Meyer Sqibb

Rosuvastatin (Cresto) made by Astro Zeneca

Everyone of these Pharmaceutical companies have been fined millions for illegal, misleading, false advertising. Everyone of them. Do you feel these companies words can be trusted, or do you also feel there advice should be taken with a sackful of salt.

I do not know nor have ever heard of him and i haven't read the link, it just seems strange you should point out the false marketing accusations, when these companies have paid billions after being found guilty for that very chatge.

Simvastin (zocon) made by Merck

TE44 Wrote:

> Rendalharris, you will find of the 5 statins

> prescribed

> In UK,

> Atorvastin (lipitor) makers Pfizer

>

> Fluvastatin (lescol) made by Novartis

>

> Pravastatin (lupostat) made byBristol-Meyer Sqibb

>

> Rosuvastatin (Cresto) made by Astro Zeneca

>

> Everyone of these Pharmaceutical companies have

> been fined millions for illegal, misleading, false

> advertising. Everyone of them. Do you feel these

> companies words can be trusted, or do you also

> feel there advice should be taken with a sackful

> of salt.

> I do not know nor have ever heard of him and i

> haven't read the link, it just seems strange you

> should point out the false marketing accusations,

> when these companies have paid billions after

> being found guilty for that very chatge.

I certainly don't believe big pharmaceutical companies, but I was specifically talking about this particular snakeoil salesman who claims to be able to cure everything from HIV to autism using vitamins. Sorry I didn't add a list of all the other entities I don't believe, it would have taken rather a lot of bandwidth.

siousxiesue Wrote:

> IF-intermittent fasting. Lowered mine to an

> amazing level.

Just seen that intermittent fasting is also recommended for diabetes (I think it was) following a scientific trial.

RH sorry but I only asked how you felt about the pharmaceuticals as you mentioned about false marketing, I didn't ask for a list

Of everything you don't believe, i just wondered since you mentioned it if you felt the same about pharmaceuticals behaving in the same way, albeit it on a much bigger scale.

"....Do you feel these companies words can be trusted, or do you also feel there advice should be taken with a sackful of salt."

I guess this is a fair point, if you assume that essentially the entire medical profession are in the pockets of Big Pharma. Statins have been around for a while and have been (unsurprisingly) very intensively trialed and tested, and were the subject of a comprehensive review in 2016:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(16)31357-5/fulltext

There may be many reasons why someone would prefer not to take statins, but shouting 'Big pharma, can't be trusted' isn't a good one (and is a common refrain for this poster)

TE44 Wrote:

> RH sorry but I only asked how you felt about the

> pharmaceuticals as you mentioned about false

> marketing, I didn't ask for a list

> Of everything you don't believe, i just wondered

> since you mentioned it if you felt the same about

> pharmaceuticals behaving in the same way, albeit

> it on a much bigger scale.

Isn't this what they call "whataboutery"? I was talking about this specific "alternative" practitioner, who is a demonstrable liar and fraud (unless you actually believe HIV can be managed with Vitamin C etc) because he had been recommended and I wanted to alert anyone reading to the fact that he is a fraud. Why does the fact that large pharmaceutical companies may also behave badly have anything to do with my addressing that particular issue?

Rh because they have been proven guilty of the issue which you mentioned regarding false marketing. This was one of the reasons you gave on your mistrust for this guy (i have still not read link) . It is also one reason i would prefer not to take statins, not the only reason, I saw it in relation to your concern but did not go into any other reasons as i felt it would have been off topic.

TE44 Wrote:

> Rh because they have been proven guilty of the

> issue which you mentioned regarding false

> marketing. This was one of the reasons you gave on

> your mistrust for this guy (i have still not read

> link) . It is also one reason i would prefer not

> to take statins, not the only reason, I saw it in

> relation to your concern but did not go into any

> other reasons as i felt it would have been off

> topic.

Sorry, the question of the honesty or otherwise of large pharmaceutical companies has no bearing whatsoever on whether Patrick Holford is honest or otherwise, I fail to see why you are raising it (well I can as I see you're quite the anti-vaxer and proponent of alternative medicine), it has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

TE44 Wrote:

> Yes Rendal isn't it so easy to categorise people

> and make assumptions whilst doing what you accuse

> others of. This thread is about looking at

> alternatives.

That makes no sense whatsoever, I'm afraid.

Minitoots, sorry if you feel the thread has been hijacked, a particular alternative practitioner was recommended and, having come across him before, I thought it would be beneficial to post a warning that he is a charlatan, that's all. Maybe I should have ignored the subsequent comments. I'm out, hope your chap finds what he needs. Best, R