Forum Sponsors

All Round Renovation
xxxx
https://m.facebook.com/cariadpets/photos

www.no-flies.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
messageChloresterol - how to lower without statins?
Posted by Minitoots December 05, 08:32AM

My partner has just been told he has high cholesterol - he previously managed to lower it a lot by going on a low cholesterol diet + exercising more - any other suggestions? I heard that certain supplements could help but can't remember what they were - any ideas?? He would prefer not to have to resort to statins...

messageRe: Chloresterol - how to lower without statins?
Posted by IlonaM December 05, 10:15AM

Some people swear by the various Benecol products. I use Flora Proactiv light spread alongside a healthy diet and my doctor was very surprised by the results.

The Mayo Clinic in the US has very good advice on its website (not just for reducing cholestorol) -

[www.mayoclinic.org]

[www.mayoclinic.org]

Posted by uncleglen December 05, 12:18PM

This guy is good
[www.patrickholford.com]

Posted by rendelharris December 05, 12:54PM

uncleglen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This guy is good
> [www.patrickholford.com]
> -your-cholesterol-without-drugs

This guy claims that Vitamin C is more effective for treating HIV than AZT, that autism is caused by MMR vaccines and that he can "cure" autism with vitamins and diet. He has been the subject of much criticism by actual real health and science professionals (his only formal qualification is a degree in experimental psychology), and has been censured numerous times for false advertising for the vitamin products he flogs off the back of his books and website. Take anything he advises with a sackful of salt.

His Wiki page tells you all you need to know about him (even though he employs PR people to delete critical content):[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by beansprout December 05, 01:09PM

You may find that he will always have it due to genes etc - I went off statins for three months and sadly despite a healthy diet, execise had to go back on statins as my cholestrol level flew up.Having said that, going to look at some of these posts and may have another go as I personally don't like pills..! Good luck though and hope yours is temporary.

Posted by TE44 December 05, 06:41PM

Rendalharris, you will find of the 5 statins prescribed
In UK,
Atorvastin (lipitor) makers Pfizer

Fluvastatin (lescol) made by Novartis

Pravastatin (lupostat) made byBristol-Meyer Sqibb

Rosuvastatin (Cresto) made by Astro Zeneca

Everyone of these Pharmaceutical companies have been fined millions for illegal, misleading, false advertising. Everyone of them. Do you feel these companies words can be trusted, or do you also feel there advice should be taken with a sackful of salt.
I do not know nor have ever heard of him and i haven't read the link, it just seems strange you should point out the false marketing accusations, when these companies have paid billions after being found guilty for that very chatge.

Simvastin (zocon) made by Merck

Posted by alice December 05, 07:01PM

My GP gave me 3 months to lower my chloresterol. I did by adding ground almonds to nearly everything. That was maybe 7 years ago.

Posted by rendelharris December 05, 07:01PM

TE44 Wrote:
> Rendalharris, you will find of the 5 statins
> prescribed
> In UK,
> Atorvastin (lipitor) makers Pfizer
>
> Fluvastatin (lescol) made by Novartis
>
> Pravastatin (lupostat) made byBristol-Meyer Sqibb
>
> Rosuvastatin (Cresto) made by Astro Zeneca
>
> Everyone of these Pharmaceutical companies have
> been fined millions for illegal, misleading, false
> advertising. Everyone of them. Do you feel these
> companies words can be trusted, or do you also
> feel there advice should be taken with a sackful
> of salt.
> I do not know nor have ever heard of him and i
> haven't read the link, it just seems strange you
> should point out the false marketing accusations,
> when these companies have paid billions after
> being found guilty for that very chatge.

I certainly don't believe big pharmaceutical companies, but I was specifically talking about this particular snakeoil salesman who claims to be able to cure everything from HIV to autism using vitamins. Sorry I didn't add a list of all the other entities I don't believe, it would have taken rather a lot of bandwidth.

Posted by siousxiesue December 05, 09:32PM

IF-intermittent fasting. Lowered mine to an amazing level.

Posted by Sue December 05, 09:55PM

siousxiesue Wrote:
> IF-intermittent fasting. Lowered mine to an
> amazing level.

Just seen that intermittent fasting is also recommended for diabetes (I think it was) following a scientific trial.

Posted by TE44 December 05, 10:24PM

RH sorry but I only asked how you felt about the pharmaceuticals as you mentioned about false marketing, I didn't ask for a list
Of everything you don't believe, i just wondered since you mentioned it if you felt the same about pharmaceuticals behaving in the same way, albeit it on a much bigger scale.

Posted by ctovey December 06, 02:36PM

Myself and my husband have lowered our cholesterol by drinking Lidl's cholesterol lowering yoghurt drinks. They are a fraction of the cost of Benecol and the like and just as effective for us

Posted by DaveR December 06, 03:57PM

"....Do you feel these companies words can be trusted, or do you also feel there advice should be taken with a sackful of salt."

I guess this is a fair point, if you assume that essentially the entire medical profession are in the pockets of Big Pharma. Statins have been around for a while and have been (unsurprisingly) very intensively trialed and tested, and were the subject of a comprehensive review in 2016:

[www.thelancet.com]

There may be many reasons why someone would prefer not to take statins, but shouting 'Big pharma, can't be trusted' isn't a good one (and is a common refrain for this poster)

Posted by TE44 December 06, 05:17PM

DaveR, I'm sure there are many reasons people prefer not to take statins, I did not suggest otherwise. As false markettling was brought up, I mentioned it is common with pharmaceuticals, are you suggesting this is not.

Posted by rendelharris December 06, 05:41PM

TE44 Wrote:
> RH sorry but I only asked how you felt about the
> pharmaceuticals as you mentioned about false
> marketing, I didn't ask for a list
> Of everything you don't believe, i just wondered
> since you mentioned it if you felt the same about
> pharmaceuticals behaving in the same way, albeit
> it on a much bigger scale.

Isn't this what they call "whataboutery"? I was talking about this specific "alternative" practitioner, who is a demonstrable liar and fraud (unless you actually believe HIV can be managed with Vitamin C etc) because he had been recommended and I wanted to alert anyone reading to the fact that he is a fraud. Why does the fact that large pharmaceutical companies may also behave badly have anything to do with my addressing that particular issue?

Posted by TE44 December 06, 06:48PM

Rh because they have been proven guilty of the issue which you mentioned regarding false marketing. This was one of the reasons you gave on your mistrust for this guy (i have still not read link) . It is also one reason i would prefer not to take statins, not the only reason, I saw it in relation to your concern but did not go into any other reasons as i felt it would have been off topic.

Posted by rendelharris December 06, 07:29PM

TE44 Wrote:
> Rh because they have been proven guilty of the
> issue which you mentioned regarding false
> marketing. This was one of the reasons you gave on
> your mistrust for this guy (i have still not read
> link) . It is also one reason i would prefer not
> to take statins, not the only reason, I saw it in
> relation to your concern but did not go into any
> other reasons as i felt it would have been off
> topic.

Sorry, the question of the honesty or otherwise of large pharmaceutical companies has no bearing whatsoever on whether Patrick Holford is honest or otherwise, I fail to see why you are raising it (well I can as I see you're quite the anti-vaxer and proponent of alternative medicine), it has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Posted by Minitoots December 06, 09:03PM

any chance we can get back to answering the question of what supplements he can get from a local health shop or chemist???

Posted by TE44 December 06, 09:05PM

Yes Rendal isn't it so easy to categorise people and make assumptions whilst doing what you accuse others of. This thread is about looking at alternatives.

Posted by rendelharris December 06, 09:13PM

TE44 Wrote:
> Yes Rendal isn't it so easy to categorise people
> and make assumptions whilst doing what you accuse
> others of. This thread is about looking at
> alternatives.

That makes no sense whatsoever, I'm afraid.

Minitoots, sorry if you feel the thread has been hijacked, a particular alternative practitioner was recommended and, having come across him before, I thought it would be beneficial to post a warning that he is a charlatan, that's all. Maybe I should have ignored the subsequent comments. I'm out, hope your chap finds what he needs. Best, R

Posted by TE44 December 06, 09:31PM

Sorry minitoots, I didn't mean to hijack thread. Hawthorn is a good herb but has to be considered if taken with certain prescription pills, it can be drunk as a tea. I also believe fasting balances the body. Good luck.

Posted by lavender27 December 07, 01:15PM

Pro-active spread works

Posted by Minitoots December 07, 04:43PM

thanks for the update, TE44
- and thanks to everyone else who has replied so far, as well.

Posted by sparrow December 07, 09:56PM

Tigernuts are, apparently, very good at reducing the 'bad' (LDL) cholesterol levels.

Posted by TE44 December 08, 10:17AM

[theartofhealing.com.au]

Minitoots, Horsetail is another herb good for lowering cholestral, link above tells you the benefits of silicon, Horsetail is known for being rich in silicon. It was growing in abundance this summer in Peckham Rye park.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was december 08, 10:32am by TE44.

Posted by BunnyBurrow December 08, 07:06PM

Please watch this vid. Dr Michael Gregor is my hero! He reviews clinical studies and gives honest and accurate advice about all things diet and health related.
[youtu.be]

Order some amla powder online (dried Indian gooseberries) for around 6 quid for 100g. Just one teaspoon a day mixed in with a smoothie or water (though it tastes bad!) And it should apparently lower your cholesterol as well as or even better than any statin can. Have just given my mum the same advice so I am very keen to see if this works as well as its reported to.

I ordered from a company called golden greens online just because I got the impression that it is a good quality product.

Good luck!

Would also recommend watch many other of his videos. So much good unbiased advice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was december 08, 07:10pm by BunnyBurrow.

messageRe: Cholesterol - how to lower without statins?
Posted by ianr December 08, 07:14PM

> Would also recommend watch many other of his
> videos. So much good unbiased advice.

I'm going to see his How Much Broccoli is Too Much? next week.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was december 08, 07:18pm by ianr.

messageRe: Cholesterol - how to lower without statins?
Posted by Bob Buzzard December 10, 09:43PM

Eating approx. 80g of porridge oats daily gives you sufficient beta glucans to improve your lipid profile.

Posted by monica Yesterday, 06:02PM

Increasing fibre in your diet also helps, Vegetable based fibre binds to cholesterol, and stops it from absorbing into the bloodstream. Grain based fibres are ok, however Bell peppers, Aubergine and artichokes are great sources of fibre.
Artichoke contains a rich source of Inulin, which has been found to help reduce cholesterol levels, also helps with sleep and blood sugar regulation.
Try eating a high anti inflammatory diet, cut out sugars and wheat. High cholesterol can be a factor of high inflammation.
Good luck

Posted by Sue Yesterday, 08:27PM

monica Wrote:

> Artichoke contains a rich source of Inulin, which
> has been found to help reduce cholesterol levels,
> also helps with sleep and blood sugar regulation.

You can also buy Inulin as a powder (derived from chicory).

It is completely tasteless, you just sprinkle a teaspoon of it over food (or you can dissolve it in liquid).

It was recommended to me by a hospital consultant, not for reducing cholesterol, just for general gut health.

It's on offer at Holland and Barrett at the moment, don't know if Health Matters stock it?

[www.hollandandbarrett.com]

ETA: A packet lasts for ages!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was yesterday, 08:28pm by Sue.

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum