All things sweet for xmas?

Saffron

Glad you like, as an alternative to using the eggs and then being left with 5 egg whites (which usually end up getting whisked into meringues) substitute with some whipped double cream and icing sugar to taste, and carefully fold into the mascarpone.

Black cherries from a tin usually come in lots of juice, for a non-alcohol/caffeine version ideal for kids, use the juice to make a jelly set over over the sponge fingers instead of the coffee/alcohol mixture.

I also decorate with cherries and chocolate shavings to give it more of a retro Black Forest Gateau look...

ETA...add some cherries to the jelly mixture, and make the night before to give it time to set properly

Clafoutis is easy and adaptable and not over sweet .You can add any fruit - I like cherries or apricots ,soaked in brandy or not . Make in ramekins or some kind of pie/lasagna dish .

And i've seen this

Milk Chocolate and Hazelnut Clafoutis: Melt 1 cup chopped milk chocolate in a large mixing bowl set above a simmering pot of water. Fold in the clafoutis batter until smooth and fully incorporated. Pour into a skillet or pie plate, sprinkle with 1/4 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts, and bake.

suggested ,doesn't appeal to me but ...

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/basic-clafoutis-51208430

INGREDIENTS

1 cup whole milk

3 eggs

1/2 cup sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 tablespoons butter, melted

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

PREPARATION

1. Preheat the oven to 325?F. In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and butter until the sugar is dissolved. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Pour the batter into a cast iron skillet or pie pan.

2. Now add your favorite fruit or flavoring (see below). Bake until the clafoutis is beautifully puffed and golden, 35?40 minutes. Serve immediately.

Panettone Baked Alaska

Cut the 'lid' of the panettone off

Take the insides out leaving a wall of panettone

Fill with ice cream of your choice

Put lid back on

Make meringue, thickly cover the whole of panettone

Whack in a very hot oven for a few minutes till meringue has gone slightly brown......delicious !!!

You can make one big one or buy little panettone and have individual ones

caz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Panettone Baked Alaska

That sounds pretty good. Panettone bread+butter pudding is also nice, and is reasonably christmassy. Especially if you slosh a bit of brandy over the panettone first.

Apple (or pear) and mincemeat crumble is a good one.

And I'm a big fan of the classic sherry trifle (you really need at least 1 cold and 1 hot dessert with Christmas dinner!)

Saffron Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks - these all look brilliant. I'm intrigued

> to try hollowing out a panettone (and then making

> bread and butter pudding with the hollowed out

> bits, of course). xx

My greedy eyes have spotted that if you make the Cherry Tiramisu you can then use the left over whites for the Baked Alaska*, and then use the left over Pannettone to make a Bread & Butter pudding...Dessertastic :)

*You can get Mince Pie ice cream for a more Christmassy taste...https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/sainsburys-mince-pie-dairy-ice-cream--taste-the-difference-500ml?langId=44&storeId=10151&krypto=MC%2FgQ4bF6ksUh%2F6DMBkiAUCAm7Fcow7KH3QLgndBjpw0IBFF20WuPjyVkoE%2B2lf2rT7HOVoLrGYp4v7aNHC8I80WK4Vf8J2Ffr1uNubacU%2B%2BQij%2Bc1GOYmtTlUlrtNjA&ddkey=https%3Agb%2Fgroceries%2Fsainsburys-mince-pie-dairy-ice-cream--taste-the-difference-500ml