planning permission from Southwark freeholder for extn?!

madger

Hello, I wondered if anyone could give me some advice? Has anyone whose actual Freeholder is Southwark managed to build a rear extension to their flat? I just wondered if anyone had managed it or encountered extra difficulties and what Southwark's attitude towards them generally is. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Hi badger,

When a councillor I had a number of cases where a council leaseholder wished to build something and need Southwark as the freeholder to agree. It was a painful drawn out process but on a number of occasions successfully concluded. Loft conversions typically. I've not had casework for rear extension but I see no logical reason why the council would not agree. And if they don't I would counsel going to the Local Ombudsman.

If you get stuck email me and I'll try and help you steer through the system.

Our neighbours on both sides have Southwark as freeholders and one side is having a rear side return extension and the other a roof extension. Southwark were fine with both but are being slow and less helpful about a tree which has caused ground movement affecting our house and one of the neighbours but that's another subject altogether!