One for the Boxing fans!

Keef

What do the boxing fans out there think of David Haye?

I have to admit I am actually rather excited by the idea of him taking on Vitali Klitschko next year. He is already a proven world champ, but to step up to heavyweight, and avoid all the journey men, going for the best fighter (of admittedly a limited current crop) shows he has guts and believes in himself.

I like to see a smaller heavyweight who has some speed, but he can also throw a hell of a punch! I also don't find him too cocky, he has ambitions, but I quite like listening to him, because he doesn't rubbish his opponents like many boxers do.

Refreshing to see after having to listen to Joe Calzaghe telling us how great he is for years, having "beaten"* a couple of old timers.

* many don't think he beat Hopkins.

I still haven't seen David Haye fight yet but from what I've read so far I think he has a very good chance of taking the ponderous Vitalki Klitchko's title.

Haye is a former world cruiserweight champion who can emulate Evander Holyfield and win the heavyweight title as well. Talking of Holyfield, who at 46 should have retired more than a decade ago is next weekend fighting the giant 7ft 2in Russian Nikolai Valuev. He hasn't got a hope in hell. This is a gross mis-match and I seriously fear for Holyfield's life.

I went to see Haye vs Monte Barrett a few weeks ago. He looked pretty good in that fight, although I had a few concerns...

-Barrett is a short-ish heavyweight, I don't know how he'd cope with East Euro giants like the Klitschkos and Valuev.

-Can he take a punch? He's been on the canvas a couple of times when I think he shouldn't have been.

-He is quick with his fists and his feet, but sometimes he looks clumsy when he's bounding round the ring, and I think he could easily be caught flush on the chin in these situations.

-He has a habit of either keeping his left hand very low (stomach level) or very high (in an almost thai boxing-esque position), almost inviting the punches in... presumably confident that he will succesfully counterpunch. Looks very dangerous to me.

-Will he get exhausted in the clinches, with the stronger, bigger guys?

All good questions Jeremy, also when fighting someone with a huge reach, will he be able to get inside?

Jah, that Holyfield fight is insane, and whoever has said it can go ahead should be sacked! A shame, as he coul have left quite the legacy, and still will do in a way, but it will be blemished by not knowing when to stop. He's not the first to make that mistake though.

And in other news, Hatton's camp claim that Mayweather Jnr has contacted them about a rematch that Hatton has always said he wanted, but they're saying that they want Manny Pacquiao.

I imagine Hatton would feel he had a better chance against Pacquiao, as he's never lost at Light Welter. If he took on Mayweather again it would probably mean going back up, and I think he'd get taken apart again to be quite honest, but at least then he'd have no one else to blame.

I'm changing the title of this thread to make it a general boxing one, as we have footy and cricket, and I know there are some boxing fans on here to use it.

I'm a big fan of Haye. He has talent, undoubtably, and the question marks over his chin lead to excitement in his fights that the heavyweight division hasn't provided for donkey's years.

Fight fans continually bemoan boxers for "ducking" difficult opponents and taking the easy fights and easy money - well this fella isn't. He says he's the best and he's going to prove it.

Would he really improve as a fighter after two or three more fights. Unlikely. He's fresh, hungry and has the tools to beat Klitschko now. I'm not sure he will but kudos to him for making heavywieght boxing exciting again. Something it's needed since the demise of Tyson over 10 years ago.

haye's good, but too small and a glass jaw. he has a chance if he does what holyfield did and add some bulk.

ps - valuev is useless. i'd back holyfield to win.

pps - you've got to be joking about calzaghe. lacey, kessler, and a still dangerous hopkins . he's probably the best british boxer of the last twenty five years. only lewis runs him close.

He only weighed in at something like 216 for the Barrett fight.

Given that he would have always been weight drained for his cruiserweight weigh-ins, I don't think he's put on much extra muscle yet. He may well put on an extra 15 lbs or so before he fights Klitschko though.

• 4 weeks later...

Wasn't too impressed with Froch in his last fight against the Canadian. Fights in straight lines like Pavlik, got hit way way too much, too static. Would get taken apart by a worldclass fighter. Calzaghe would annihilate him.

Haye vs Wladimir is interesting, it's the better fight for Haye, if he can deal with the jab he'll probably win. Old Wlad don't like it rough. The HW division needs Haye to win big. It's been a bore for a good decade now.

Looking forward to Hatton vs Pacquiao if it comes off, a certain war.

Also Cotto vs Margarito 2, the first fight was the best of the year IMO.

Khan to fight Barrera in Manchester 14th March.

Seems a huge gamble, but I'm glad he'sstepping up, so he can either live up to his hype, or get knocked out and stop bothering us (I'm not a huge fan, he's turned in to a cocky little git, and has done little to back it up).

Barrera is 35, but took Manny Pacquiao the distance, and doesn't seem finished even if he's not as fast or powerful as he once was.

I'm not sure I get this one tbh.

If Khan wins (and I think he probably will on points) it's a win over a ageing, faded legend who's at least two weight divisions above his natural limit. No credit due.

If Barrera wins, he's beaten a pup who failed to live up to Olympic hype after four years as a pro. No credit due.

So who wins from this? Frank Warren! @&%$!

It's beginning to get all Audley Harrison for my liking.

Exactly... Barrera is fighting well over his natural weight, I can only assume that he lost all his money in an icelandic bank account, and Frank has made him an offer he can't refuse. Why else would he bother fighting Khan, who is pretty much unknown anywhere except in the UK? Maybe as a tune-up or stepping stone to bigger names in the lightweight division?

I fully expect Khan to lose - despite his huge physical advantage - but don't think it will shut him up. Remember, he already got KTFO in the first round, by some guy I'd never heard of.

I would much rather he'd looked at the domestic scene first... fights with the likes of Murray and Thaxton would be a lot more relevant IMO.

Agreed. Untilhe proves his worth on the domestic scene (the traditional route to a world title fight) I think it's a bit rich of Khan to go dashing off to Miami and start calling out bigger fish.

Come back, win the British title, maybe the Commonwealth and European too, defend them a couple of times, then.....and only then, do you earn the right to call out title holders.

Khan's good. He's quick, big for his weight, has a great jab. But he's not world class, not yet. And beating Barrera won't make him so.